Weaners available

Introductions and chatter

Weaners available

Postby Ubarrow Peter » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:23 am

Small amount of weaners available in a couple of weeks (at 8 weeks old). Ideal as an introduction to pig keeping. Middle White/ Kune Kune cross.

Very easy to keep - feed them to slaughter and have some wonderful Christmas pork!

NB If you don't have pigs then you should have a pair. Never keep a pig on it's own.

Peter
Ubarrow Peter
Registered Member

Postby Hobbitfeet » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:01 pm

Having tasted them, I'd love to raise a couple but am unable to at the moment Peter. I will contact you, if I may at some future date though.
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:26 pm

I know I am a bit off topic here but I was wondering at what age piglets stop becoming regarded as 'suckling'. Although Pete is too far away from me, I would love to try a roast suckling pig sometime. I should imagine they would be quite expensive. I have eaten it in Spain and it just fell off the bone, but have never seen it advertised in this country. Is there some legislation?

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Franco » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:45 pm

paul,

funny you should mention suckling pig, I was having a root in my freezer this evening and found a small bag of roast suckling pig left over from Christmas :lol: If you can find a source locally for suckling pig it's well worth the effort.

I usually do one or 2 a year and will be having one again at christmas.

In Italy 7 kgs is the maximum weight for a suckling pig but I usually get mine around 12 kgs as they seem to be just as tender.

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby aris » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:18 am

How do you cook them Franco?
aris
Site Admin

Postby Ubarrow Peter » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:30 pm

I have to say that I would find it difficult to eat a piglet! I don't have any problem when they are older.
Having said that, I'll still sell one to you!
Ubarrow Peter
Registered Member

Postby barry » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:16 pm

I have been aproached a few times to sell some of my british lops for suckling pig and the required size is always between 10-15kilo live weight.
I must say ubarrow pete you have a small middle whight or kune kune with a ladder :lol:
barry
Registered Member

Postby Ubarrow Peter » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:24 pm

I think you may be underestimating the size of the Kune Kune. We have a Rebecca Gina which is smaller than a middle white but not by an enormous amount. Think Dudley Moore and those tall American models he used to go out with!!!!
Ubarrow Peter
Registered Member

Return to Chatter