Air in sausages

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Air in sausages

Postby CMOTD » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:56 am

Hi first time posting
I use a Trespade Minnie-Plus Little Demon Rosso Stuffer to make my sausages and have a real problem with air getting in the sausages. :oops:
I make sure the meat is pushed down to eliminate as much air as possible but when I crank the handle air gets in between the meat and skin.
When I link them up I try to get as much air out but not all of it comes out.
What am I doing wrong

Thanks in advance
CMOTD
Newly Registered

Re: Air in sausages

Postby wheels » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:30 pm

I don't know the answer, but my initial thought is whether you are using too small a stuffing horn for the size of casing. Perhaps you could give us more details?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby NCPaul » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:13 pm

Are you holding back on the casing until it fills? Could you be stuffing them too fast?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby YakForger38 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:47 am

Yes, the issue often comes from the way you hold the casing! Sorry for the inappropriate comparison, but it's like putting on a condom, you have to hold the casing with extra attention if you don't want air between it and the meat!
But yes, then it might be a nozzle size issue as well, or even something else.
YakForger38
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:26 pm

CMOTD wrote:...I make sure the meat is pushed down to eliminate as much air as possible but when I crank the handle air gets in between the meat and skin. When I link them up I try to get as much air out but not all of it comes out. What am I doing wrong

Maybe nothing. Even when you do everything right, some air gets into the sausages - less and less, as you develop more skill. That's why there are tools for pricking the casing to get rid of air after stuffing: it's part of the process. Without knowing more, or seeing pics of what you are talking about, all we can do is guess. What you think is a lot of air may be a lot, or it may be normal. In any case, a needle or sausage pricker to pop the bubbles will take care of what you can't eliminate by other means.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Return to Equipment & Supplies