Got the Mincer, now...Which Stuffer Should I Buy???

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Got the Mincer, now...Which Stuffer Should I Buy???

Postby ChickenTurtle » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:56 am

After a period of absence from the forum I have returned, with news and a question!

After some deliberation a while back over which mincer to buy I eventually bought a Tritacarne No.12 mincer, which I was slightly dissapointed with. It minces quite well and is perfectly funtional but didn't exude the quality I was hoping for and expecting.

Main concerns were the rather inadequete tinning, meaning that it started to rust in places if for example left to dry on the draining board overnight. Also the machine is noisy as hell. I almost reached for the ear defenders when using it for the first time!

To cut a long story short I upped my sights (and budget) and bought the fantastic Santos No.12 mincer (the red coloured one) which I have been over the moon with. It's also whisper quiet and smoother than snake poop!

Yes it's a big price tag to come to terms with (£700 ish) but this thing is like a Rolls Royce!! It's EXTREMELY robust, has stainless parts and a synthetic worm, is a doddle to clean and spares are readily available.

My only criticism is it's TOO GOOD! I literally can't throw the meat down it's neck fast enough! If I mince up say 3kg of pork/beef it takes me about a minute at best. I just don't want the fun to end, dammit!

Now in order to maximise my use of it, I've decided to get a stuffer (and a burger press) so I can run large batches of meat through, make a freezable product and make it all worth the set up/clean down time.

WHAT STUFFER (and burger press if you have one) SHOULD I BUY?

Also, what the advantage of horizontal vs vertical and vice versa??

Quality is more of an issue than budget, as I like my kit to be Top Notch and last a long time!!

Your thoughts gratefully received...over to you! :)
Silence is Golden, but duct tape works better, and that comes in Silver!
ChickenTurtle
Registered Member

Postby ChickenTurtle » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:49 pm

Anyone?
ChickenTurtle
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:12 pm

I'd go for upright, but that's 'cos it's what I've always used. The ones on the forum shop recieve good reviews.

Otherwise, there's some horizontal Reber ones on ebay - they're said to be a good make.

There's the Trespade deluxe range which should also be good given the price!

To be honest, other than nylon gears on some of the cheaper small capacity stuffers, I've not heard many complaints about any of them.

You pays your money and .....

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby ChickenTurtle » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:10 pm

:) ..you takes your choice?

I appreciate your advice Phil. I think you're probably right, just like cars these days. Nobody really makes a bad one.

I think I'll do some more scouting around but will avoid the Trespade, as my first mincer (used once) was a HUGE let down. It didn't live up to the hype.

Good to be back by the way, and to see you're still the backbone of the forum!

Thanks mate!
ChickenTurtle
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:11 pm

Whatever you choose, make sure parts are readily available and affordable, especially the o-ring. Several folks over here have gotten burned over unavailability and cost of replacement o-rings!!!

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby ChickenTurtle » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:15 pm

8) Good advice there Martin! I know when choosing the Santos Mincer (grinder) I was swayed by the fact you can practically rebuild the damn thing from spare parts which are readily available.

Too much Chinese cr@p floating around on the market these days that's only fit for the bin (trash can) when it becomes faulty.

Let's all remember, buy cheap, buy twice.
ChickenTurtle
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies