insulated gloves?

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

insulated gloves?

Postby johngaltsmotor » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:01 pm

Has anybody found a good pair of inexpensive insulated gloves for mixing? Every time I mix sausage I end up unable to feel my hands. I've tried latex/nitrile over kevlar but the latex slides right off. Most everything I see that is affordable is only palm coated (not a big deal, but I'd prefer completely coated to make them easier to clean & sanitize).
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:15 pm

A thought that might be worth trying: silicone oven gloves. I've only seen mitts but they could do the job, and can go in the dishwasher.

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:47 pm

A lot of people use cheap cotton gloves under disposables, that offers some insulation.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby johngaltsmotor » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:29 pm

I've done that in the past, but the latex always slips down so your fingers are all inside the palm of the latex - you end up basically having gloves inside of a plastic bag. I'd be happy if I could just come up with a way to keep the latex gloves in place over the inner gloves - maybe a different type of inner glove.

AH HA!!! maybe a pair of inner gloves with grippy dots like the silicone oven gloves - these (might) hold the latex in place on top of them.

I'll have to give that a shot.
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Postby Oddwookiee » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:51 pm

Cheap cotton gloves then go buy the biggest, longest thickest commercial kitchen gloves you can find to wear over them. Your hands will get cold, but not numb. I mix hunter's jerky orders this way, and barehanded doing 50 individual orders is a killer. The cotton is an ok insulator and big heavy dishwashing gloves (elbow length) works a treat. When you're done, wash the gloves just like you wash your hands and hang them to dry for the next time and you're golden.

As far as I'm concerned, thin latex or nitrile are worthless for mixing.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:12 pm

I can certainly emphasize with your problem, having hand-mixed some larger batches recently I agree it can be painfully cold.

It sure beats using a small home kitchen stand mixer for batches 10lbs+ though
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby johngaltsmotor » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:30 pm

I've got a book where they talk about using their kitchen-aid stand mixer to blend 5lb batches. I tried once, it just about tossed the bowl across the room. They forgot to mention they were using the professional model that has 2 pins on the side of the bowl to lock it in, not the flimsy stamped sheetmetal foot.

If I had the room I'd pick up one of the Hobart industrial mixers from a pizza place liquidation, nothing screams manly like mixing sausage in something with more horsepower than your riding lawnmower :-D
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies