my first bacon

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Postby senorkevin » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:33 pm

I smoked some bacon cured with maple syrup and it turned out very nice but it takes like sweet cured ham. Is that how it is meant to taste or do I need to add more salt or something else to make it taste like bacon?
An Englishman living in México.
There'e not such thing as a stupid question, just a stupid answer!
senorkevin
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:54 pm

Hi Kevin, if you are introducing maple syrup into the mix, I think you have to accept that it will have a sweet taste. What type of flavour were you aiming for ?
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby senorkevin » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:20 pm

Well I knew it was going to be sweet but I thought it was going to be more like bacon than ham. In not sure if I should have smoked it for less or added more salt or something
senorkevin
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:43 pm

Ham does have a 'bacon' flavour' just as bacon has a 'ham' flavour - they all come off the same animal and commercially are cured as a side of pork, so they get the same treatment from head to tail. I was taught that 'Ham' was cured separately and differently from the rest of the side, whereas 'Gammon' would remain attached to the side and be cured as one. If I cured a piece of bacon loin and boiled it, then it would be just like a piece of 'boiled ham' with maybe a bit more fat. If I cure a piece of leg and then take a slice off and fry it, then I would expect it to taste similar to bacon.

I would stick to any recipes given, but decide what flavour you are looking for and adjust accordingly. If you think about it - a ham cooked in coca-cola will taste differently from one glazed with honey/mustard. It all depends on what your'e looking for as the finished article.

Yotmon.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:48 pm

What cut of meat are you using? (The pic you posted a month ago looks like a tenderloin) and what flavor are you trying to get? A US streaky bacon flavor or a English back bacon?

Streaky gets most of it's flavor from the high fat content, and I've noticed that the thicker you slice it the more it tastes like ham and less as bacon.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:36 am

Now here’s me, my bacon tastes like bacon where as my ham taste like ham ......... must be doing sum’ert wrong :oops:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby senorkevin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:18 am

I'm using loin as I don't like streaky bacon.

@brican. Does Canadian bacon taste like sweet ham or bacon. If bacon, what's the secret!?
senorkevin
Registered Member

Postby senorkevin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:37 pm

I was aiming for Canadian bacon as the mrs has been begging me for ages. I made it and asked her if that is what it tastes like then she said "I cant remember what it tastes like"!
So...what does Canadian bacon taste like? Is it sweet or salty?
I am using loin or should I use a different cut?
senorkevin
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:40 pm

Hi Kevin, what type of bacon did you and your wife prefer when you lived in the UK. That might be a good starting point to aim for. A lot of bacon flavour does come from the fat, so, seeing as your'e not a fan of streaky, maybe try a piece of full loin next time, rather than just the 'eye' muscle. You may be pleasantly surprised. :wink:

yotmon.
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby senorkevin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:59 pm

Just a "proper" slice of bacon. Smoked and unsmoked. The problem here is that the butchers here cut everything off the loin before selling it. I have been to numerous butchers but they all do the same.
senorkevin
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:18 pm

I think what you are referring to is known as 'Lomo' a stripped loin in other words. Does your butcher buy in the whole hog or just parts already boned and trimmed. If they do obtain their meat on the bone I'm sure they would sell you a piece of boned loin intact rather than removing the surrounding muscles and fat. I believe that it would make better tasting bacon than just using the lean eye.

Yotmon.
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby senorkevin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:28 pm

You know your Spanish!
They receive it in the "lomo" state.
senorkevin
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:08 am

senorkevin wrote:I was aiming for Canadian bacon as the mrs has been begging me for ages. I made it and asked her if that is what it tastes like then she said "I cant remember what it tastes like"!
So...what does Canadian bacon taste like? Is it sweet or salty?
I am using loin or should I use a different cut?

Funny thing is that Canadian bacon is an American thing, one of the forums that I frequent has a long list --- the following might help you

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/newsea ... n&type=all
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby sundodger » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:49 am

Do you know what ?... I made MY first bacon starting a couple of weeks ago.
A total novice & longing for a bit of "Real" bacon. I bought a three kilo piece of loin & a two kilo chunk of belly at my local (very good) butcher, Had them boned out for me & used a propriety bacon cure bought off the host site here. I followed the instructions to the letter & I was amazed at the result - So easy & the flavour is great. I am really happy. Had a couple of them cut as bacon chops, which were delicious & hand sliced a few cuts from the belly for breakfast. Am awaiting a slicer, which should arrive any day now, so things will be better with that.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be !
sundodger
Registered Member

Postby senorkevin » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:20 pm

That's great. My problem is that I can't buy any packet mix in Mexico so I have to make everything by hand
senorkevin
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment & Supplies