Scale's accuracy

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Scale's accuracy

Postby Salmo » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:41 am

I thought my recent experience may be usefull to those that rely upon small scales to accurately weigh cure etc.
While using my small digital scales (0.1grm accuracy) something just didn't look right,the 6 grms I was weighing looked too much.
I transfered the item to my "everyday" scale (1grm accuracy) & the 6 grms became 11 grms!
After much checking with various packed items from the cupboard I realised my "accurate" scales were way off.
Before chucking them I removed the batteries & therein lay the problem, (I assume)as there was quite a bit of corrosion around the terminals.
New scales are awaited,and I will remove the batteries when not in use.
I don't know why I didn't do this originaly,as the scales in my fishing bag always have the batteries removed at the end of each session.
Check 1 grm weights can be gotten on line for about a tenner (sterling) & must be an investment for anybody weighing critical amounts.
Hope this information helps to prevent somebody poisoning themselves.
Cheers
Give a man a fish,and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish,and you won't see him again for the rest of the season.
Salmo
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:55 pm

Rather than buy a calibration weight, use copper coins. 28 p weighs as near 100 g as makes no difference (2p coin is the same as 2 x 1p). I keep a stack wrapped in clingfilm next to the balance for a quick check before use.

When my scale went off by a large amount, I discovered later (when it did it again) that it had changed units to something obscure, and the symbol is so tiny as to be unreadable.

A thread on scales here: http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=7843

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby Salmo » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:35 pm

Thanks Martin, I hadn't seen your original post.
Good idea with the coins.
Give a man a fish,and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish,and you won't see him again for the rest of the season.
Salmo
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:54 pm

I haven't checked or calibrated mine in a while. Thankfully I haven't had any problems but based on your post I'll check and calibrate tonight. My mini-scale which I use for spices and such came with a 200g calibration weight.

A few years ago I had an issue with calibration when I made a simple polish garlic sausage. There was so much garlic in it Vlad the Impaler would have been raised and resent to the grave. It was terrible and frankly had to be binned. I still like to blame the scale but clarity from hindsight suggests it could easily have also been a math error on my part.
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby johngaltsmotor » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:20 pm

I might be a nerdy engineer, but I prefer the nostalgia of the old triple-beam balance - you never have to calibrate gravity. :wink: The resolution is much better than most digital units also.
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Postby Oddwookiee » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:52 pm

For anyone in the states, you can often have your scales checked by a county/state dept. of weights & measures. I have an inspector who checks all my trade scales annually for licensing, from the 1oz spice scales up to the 12,000lb carcass scale.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies