Is a roast tyer a necessity for making small hams?

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Is a roast tyer a necessity for making small hams?

Postby Polack » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:06 am

I'm totally new to pretty much everything in meat processing. I want to make small hams for Christmas gifts and was wondering about the roast tyer and how bad I needed it. I'm not even 100% on the whole principle of tying a ham, is it just to keep the meat together, or do you want to compress the meat as well? I'm not sure I'm ready to fork out the big bucks yet so, would the plastic roast tyer work for me and what does it accomplish? If all it does is allow an easier way of sliding the net on the meat than I could probably come up with something a little cheaper on my own. Thanks for any help.
Polack
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:02 pm

I'd never heard of one of those. Most of us use string and knots. It's worth learning and impresses persons of the opposite gender.

There's a video here: http://mattikaarts.com/blog/charcuterie/bresaola/ near the bottom (skip the first minute), the principle is the same whether using a bressaola, joint of meat or a boned chicken.

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:48 pm

You do want to eliminate air pockets in the center which will be an ideal place for molds to develop.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Polack » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:44 am

Ok so I watched a video on you tube and now am an expert on tying hams. I just need to tie a ham now. Seriously though, looks real easy. I'm glad I didn't waste money on an apparatus. I could see using them on a commercial scale though.
Polack
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:16 am

You could also put the ham in something like a cheap clam bag before tying it as in the video, which is what I often do, that'll bring things together even better.

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby Oddwookiee » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:03 pm

Another alternative is find a meat processing supplier and buy a roll of zip net or a few ham stockings.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby Polack » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:14 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not sure if I'm going to get my smoker built in time to make hams for everyone but well see.
Polack
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies