Price of pork

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Price of pork

Postby moidoid » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:05 pm

How much do people pay for a kg of pork? And do you pay a different rate for the back fat? I think I paid a lot for my last batchand was wondering.
Tim Jackson
moidoid
Registered Member

Pork

Postby Yorkie_Porkie » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:26 pm

Hi moidoid,

I think it all depends where you live, I can pay anywhere from 65 - 75p a lb for half or whole pig, however I favour just using shoulders and bellies at the moment which I pay 65p lb for shoulder and 85p lb for belly, both are on the bone, so I use the bones for a tasty stock to add to the mixes rather than just water. It also helps with the natural Gelatine to keep them moist....

I get my back fat free from my butchers due to how much money I spend with him, he also gives me Beef fat free too :D . By the way, I pay �1.28 a lb for beef "trim" which is very lean and produces a nice mince with the addition of some extra fat...

What have you been paying ??

YP
Yorkie_Porkie
Registered Member

Postby moidoid » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:50 am

I bought 10 kg of mostly lean shoulder from my local butcher who sells good meat, but it is expensive. It cost me �5 a kilo which works out at 2.27 a lb.
All the butchers around here sell good meat but they get awards & there is probably a fairly hefty premium. I'm probably going to do about 10 kg every couple of months so I will have to look around I think. I guess if I get a whole belly that would give me a good quantity of meat & fat - with maybe a bit of shoulder too?
Tim Jackson
moidoid
Registered Member

Postby Yorkie_Porkie » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:53 am

That's the option I am using right now, 70% Shoulder and 30% Belly...Am sure you can get a better deal than �2.27 lb boneless..Or why not have a go a boning out a shoulder yourself ??....as its for sausages it doesn't really matter if you take the meat off in smaller bits.....

YP
Yorkie_Porkie
Registered Member

Postby chase » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:12 pm

Hia, I have just orderd a side of pork from a small farm in Llangollen for �1 per pound and it is free range too which is important to me.
chase
Registered Member

Postby Hobbitfeet » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:06 am

Hi Chase, I spend a lot of time in the Wrexham area so would be interested in your Llangollen contact. Please PM details.
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:54 am

Hi Chase

I'm with Hobbitfeet, if you can send me the info as well I would be VERY grateful.

Hi Moidoid

I dont know how you like your meat but Tesco do a "value" shoulder which contains a fair bit of fat which is no bad thing for around �1.20 a Lb. I have tried this shoulder and I would use it again as I thought it was OK. Mostly I pay around �1.60 a lb for shoulder and believe it or not a little more for belly!!!! but I have not got a clue as to why belly is more expensive than shoulder unless it is a more popular cut..

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby chase » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:05 pm

Hobbitfeet & Welsh Wizard, the phone number for the pork in Llangollen is 01978 860753. Its a farm shop owned by a hotel, its called Abbey Grange. As far as I know you have to buy a side or full pig as they are killed to order. Its the first time Ive had any, I saw it at the bottom of the Horse shoe pass last week and thought I would give it a try. Good luck.
chase
Registered Member

Postby Hobbitfeet » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:53 pm

Cheers mate. I'm up in Wrexham this weekend - I'll give them a call.
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:54 pm

Yep double cheers - I will have a look

WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Yorkie_Porkie » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:31 am

I must be very lucky up here in Hudds to get the price I pay !...It seems as you get south you pay more

YP
Yorkie_Porkie
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies