BRADLEYS SMOKER

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

BRADLEYS SMOKER

Postby hunterman » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:16 pm

way hey just got my BRADLEYS SMOKER
and tried my first smoke bacon (fantastic)
i wounder what smoke turkey's like :lol:
happy eating
hunterman
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:17 am

Hi Hunterman

Glad you got on well with the Bradley they are fantastic bits of kit. Last year I smoked a turkey breast and it was brilliant. If you are thinking of smoking a whole turkey I think you will be filling up the feeder a few times!

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Heather » Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:25 pm

Saturday my OH set up the Bradley with a stainless steel extension box to which he attached the smoke generator, plus some bits and pieces from B&Q to vent the smoker out of the shed, and we smoked some garlic, cheddar, dry-cured bacon and 2 salmon fillets. The temperature in the Bradley didn't rise at all, and the salmon for breakfast this morning was the best I've ever tasted.
Heather
Registered Member

Postby TonyE » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:56 pm

Hi Heather

I have a Bradley Smoker, which I bought about a year ago, I have had great success with Salmon, Trout, Mackeral and a few other white fish.
I want to start smoking Meat, and thought I would start with Sausages, hence I buy my ingredients from Sausagemaking.org and read this forum on a regular basis. I am always interested in what other Bradley Users are doing, if you have the time, please keep us informed of your progress
TonyE
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:12 pm

Hi Tony

Bradley exploits have included:

Hot smoking cheese, not very good at all, it came out like cheese soup!

Hot Smoking sausages - brilliant

Hot smoked Salmon, Sea Trout and conger - excellent

Hot Smoked Pigeon breast - came out like bullets

Hot Smoked game tureen - A1

Hot smoked beef steak - A1

Cold smoked garlic, salmon and sausages - A1+
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Heather » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:44 pm

Cold smoking - small fillets of venison (fallow deer), salmon, haddock (had kedgeree last night), herrings for kippers, cheese (cheddar and brie), garlic and streaky bacon.

Hot smoking - duck portions, pork ribs. I have another hot smoker which we can use on top of the barbeque, which is cheaper to run than the Bradley, so I've only used the Bradley twice for hot-smoking. In the other smoker I have hot-smoked a whole Mallard, and a few years back I smoked a small turkey for Christmas, a topside roast, plus many whole chickens.

Your posts make me think I need to try hot smoking some sausages - what sausages did you use, and with what type of flavourings? Somehow I can't think the taste of smoked pork, leek and sage would be good.
Heather
Registered Member

Postby TonyE » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:44 pm

Hi WelshWizard

Thanks for the reply, you may already know of this site, but other Bradley owners on this forum may not, and it is well worth a look

http://susan.rminor.com - honest it is a genuine Bradley Web site, and very good it is too.

Did I read some where that you sell Bradley Smokers, if so, does this mean we can buy bisquettes from you
TonyE
Registered Member

Postby TonyE » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:49 pm

Wow Heather you are an old hand at this smoking lark, I am but an amateur by comparison. Anyway Len Poli's site has loads of Smoked sausage recipes, I am about to order a load of stuff from sausagemaking.org then try a few out.
TonyE
Registered Member

Postby TonyE » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:00 pm

Woops sorry Heather, forgot to mention the URL for Len Poli

http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli

Let me know if you have any trouble finding the list of recipes, there is a bit more to the URL, but it should put you in the right place. Beware when you look at the recipes, I have found 50 duplicates e.g. bockwurst also listed as Hot dog - bockwurst - It is an excellent source of sausage and preserved meat recipes - Have Fun
TonyE
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:37 pm

TonyE

If you are about to order some supplies from sausagemaking.org and are also considering hot smoking some sausage I can tell you that there are 2 sausage mixes that hot smoke superbly. The bratwurst and the merguez. I have only tried smoking a few but these 2 stood out from the rest. I only use a gas BBQ and lay white oak chippings in a baking tray, damp the chippings and put the tray on the coals until it starts to smoulder. Then turn off the gas and let it do its thing for about 10 minutes or so. Then carry on and cook as normal.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:50 pm

Hi Heather

I smoked some pheasant sausages and also some pork, leek and shropshire blue both of which came out tickety boo. Pheasant ones were the best though!

If you get a chance try hot smoking crown of pheasant or duck but baste with honey first and then once or twice during the smoking - oh yum yum.

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:02 pm

Spot on site TonyE, thank you

Cheers WW

Sorry Heather the bisquettes I used for my sausages were oak. I have tried cherry but for me toooooooooo sweet
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby TonyE » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:57 am

Hey WelshWizard

Glad you liked the site, and I will give those Sausage mixes you recommend a try - Appreciate your help and advise
TonyE
Registered Member

Postby Heather » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:18 pm

Thanks all for the recipes and suggestions, I'm hungry now and my lunch is finished!
Heather
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies