Knife sharpener info required.

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Knife sharpener info required.

Postby yotmon » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:23 pm

Hi folks, now that Christmas is coming I'm looking for a recommended knife sharpener. I've always sharpened my knives with an oil stone and then kept them keen with a butchers steel until they need doing again. I would prefer something that does the job without having to think - ie, I place the knife against the sharpener and it does its job. I'm not looking for something that relies on me holding it at 16 degrees instead of 18 or the ones that take away half of the blades metal in one fell swoop :shock:

It could probably be semi professional as I would like to offer to sharpen knives for the family and friends and maybe even neighbours.

So come on - what do you use or recommend ?

Yotmon.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Re: Knife sharpener info required.

Postby Big Guy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:34 am

work sharp ! is the way to go. google it
Col. Big Guy
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby Thewitt » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:01 am

My favorite system is the Edge Pro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY6DJ0PQxyA

Still using sharpening stones, which I prefer to sanders, yet easy to get the exact angle you are looking for.
Thewitt
Registered Member

Postby Mohalk » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:51 pm

In the past I too have spent hours with a wet stone sharpening knives and it worked well but have never been able to shave with a knife after sharpening. Until now!

The link below is for EdgeMasters. I didn't buy the whole kit but I did buy some of the uncommon belts like the fine and very fine grit belts. What really made this work so well is the "leather" belt and the compound.

http://www.theedgemasters.com/Sharpenin ... rSale.html

If you go to the site look around for videos that show how it is used. It really is that easy.

I bought 2 30in. belt sanders for 30 USD each at a tool supply house. I got 2 because I didn't want to change belts. Now it only takes seconds for the right edge, an edge you CAN shave with! I am able to buy meat with the extra money I make sharpening knives for others.
Old school! Why? I'm old.
Mohalk
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:49 pm

I've had a lot of people tell me how much they like the edge pro system. My dad like the Spyderco V-sticks, I like my water-stones...
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:38 pm

Thanks guys, Iv'e got plenty there to read about. I have used a small belted sander years ago and it did a good job. Will have to go through the above to see what suits.

Thanks again. Ste.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby funksteruk2 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:32 pm

Asda sell a small one called anysharp, for £7 it does what it says and I always use a steel to keep the edges right
funksteruk2
Registered Member

Postby MarkD51 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:30 pm

Hi all,
Two Sharpeners that I've used for years, and like, are the Sharpmaker, made by Spyderco, and the Lansky 5-stone Sharpener. Both compliment one another very well, and both will achieve shaving sharp results.
MarkD51
Registered Member

Postby CharlesLG » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:57 am

I'm a bit of a knife sharpening nut and I've owned the Spyderco, Lansky, oil stones, diamond stones, EdgePro, Tormek, WorkSharp and I've used a 2"x72" belt grinder. The Tormek is my second favorite. It does a great job (it should for $640) but it's messy and large. I keep it because it's great for wood working tools. My favorite is the WorkSharp. It does two things real well.
1) It's convenient. It's small and quick to use.
2) It gets knives and scissors real, real sharp.
They cost about $75.
Best of luck.
CharlesLG
Newly Registered

Postby yotmon » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:25 pm

Still looking :roll: Been watching the videos on the links and I do like most of them. One of the problems is that the best ones seem to be made/sold stateside and to buy one over here seems to double the price :shock: I was tempted by the hand held Worksharp off ebay/US but then realised it was 110v and not suitable for our 240v without purchasing a transformer. Plus I don't think that the 12 month warranty would cover its use over here (don't fancy having to post it back to the supplier if it developed a fault). I could buy one off Amazon from a UK supplier but the price rockets to £100 - double the US price. Ah-well, I'll keep going with my head down and make a decision soon enough :wink:

Thanks everyone, Ste.
yotmon
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies