Sharpening knives

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Sharpening knives

Postby aris » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:08 pm

Anyone got any good advice on sharpening knives? I have a steel which brings up the edge (for a short while) - but I need something to sharpen the knives properly. I'm thinking of getting one of these diamond sharpeners - anyone have experience with these?
aris
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:14 pm

aris

A diamond stone is a very good investment, I use one all the time for chisels, planer blades and knives. If you are thinking of purchasing one then I would advise you get one of the Diamite ones from a dedicated DIY toolshop... I would not advise getting the ones on sale in the screwfix catalogue as I have purchased the full set and they don't come anywhere near the Diamite. It is a case of 'you get what you pay for' and the better quality one will last for years. The medium grade is ideal for your purpose. Do not use oil on it as it is not an oil stone, use a water spray little and often to lubricate and remove the metal dust. The diamite stones do not require the effort of a normal oilstone. I have had my Diamite for about 5 years+..

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:59 am

So you mean I just need one stone - a medium one for general kitchen use?
aris
Site Admin

Postby aris » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:02 am

I can't find any reference on the web to Diamite diamon stones - are you sure of the spelling - or can you point me to a web site?
aris
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:54 am

aris

It appears that Diamite is an older reference to the product.. even on the underside of mine I see it is called DMT.. :oops:

One company selling them on line is Axminster Power Tools.. FREEPHONE 0800 371822. The one you require is the one they refer to as 'fine'.. the middle one of the range.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/pricing/INC/recno/1/cid/5NU7Q4TOLF1HLYGSKZAA1L7YAJW19V61/product-DMT-Bench-Whetstone-21932.htm

They do small hand held ones as well but I cannot advise on them as I have not used them.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:21 am

You have to wonder where these people come up with their pricing.

That sharpener costs �42.55 the link you provided.

The same thing costs $42.05 from Amazon.com in the US.

(all + delivery)

And there is someone on eBay selling it for �37 inc delivery.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:46 am

If you think that's bad try buying replacement power tool batteries in this country as opposed to the USA.. same with the tools. Unfortunately in this country too many people are prepared to pay the price..

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby DarrellS » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:01 pm

They're only $29.95 at the Knife Center in the US

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store ... ?s=DMTW6FP
DarrellS
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:11 pm

Mhh, yes, but you put $36 for shipping on top of that :shock:

Might have to ask a mate in the US to source one for me.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:35 pm

aris

If your sole intention solely to sharpen knives I think you would be OK with the smaller hand held one. The only reason I got the larger one was to sharpen planer blades.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:40 pm

Yes, it will just be for kitchen knives. I'll have a snoop around on their website - www.dmtsharp.com for anyone that is interested.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Gill » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:30 pm

You might find the Wealden site of interest if you're looking for diamond sharpening stones. As a woodworker myself, I find they're the cheapest quality stones available.

One of the advantages of being a woodworker is that I get to sharpen my kitchen knives on a Tormek - wholly extravagant for anyone who just wants to trim a few sausages.

Gill
Gill
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:42 am

I must say that I have used Wealdens for router cutters, and they are made to a very high standard indeed, albeit a couple of years ago. The premises used to be at East Peckham but I see they have moved to Paddock Wood. If their diamond sharpeners are as good quality as their router cutters then they should be fine.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby othmar » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:20 am

Hi aris, diamond sharpeners are good but having used a large variety of different knife sharpening devices I just never could see any big difference between a diamond sharpener and a quality fine grain sand stone. Either of them will get my knives razor sharp and hold the edge very well. Having said that it is not the sharpening device that makes a knife hold the edge it is the quality os knife steel.

The only difference I have ever noticed is that a sand stone wears out much faster than a diamond stone. But even as a professional butcher, sharpening my knives every single day, it takes me a full year to wear a sand stone down.

If you only need to sharpen the occasional kitchen knife I would go with a sand stone which is much cheaper than a diamond stone and does the exact same thing.

Where some people have a problem to get a knife sharp is in how they sharpen it. On my website in the meat cutting tutorial I have a guide on how to sharpen a knife so it will hold the edge provided the knife steel is of a good quality.
Meat is good and healthy Master Butchers Choice
othmar
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:45 pm

I make knives as a hobby, and I'm working towards being good enough to make them as a living, mostly after the Scandanavian/Lapp patern.

The best way of sharpening a knife is to use a Japanese waterstone. An 800 grit stone is a good start for a kitchen knife: it will produce an edge that with slice and shread anything you'll find a need to cut.

If you can find the funds to add a 1200 grit as well; you can perform surgery with your knife: this is wood-carving sharp. It will sail through a cut of meat like the proverbial hot knife through butter.

If you can be bothered, a 6000 grit will put a mirror-bright edge on your knife, and this will last as a razor sharp edge for a week or more. It gets a lttle scary.

At this level, a leather strop and some sharpening paste will (really!!) get it a little sharper, and add something to the durability of the edge, but it's not necessary for the kitchen.

I get my stones from Axminster Tools, and a little practice will have you bleeding all over the place. Have fun!
Wohoki
Registered Member

Next

Return to Equipment & Supplies