UK which grinder?

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

UK which grinder?

Postby Salilah » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:02 pm

I make sausages occasionally and would like to do salami (when I can work out how to do the mix and the curing!!)

I've a Kenwood Chef with the grinder / stuffer attachment which works ok but a) gets a lot of fat stuck around the grinder which needs clearing out frequently and b) mashed the pork back fat

OH has offered to buy me a grinder for Christmas - any recommendations please? UK based and ideally under £100 (I don't make them that often! too busy with cheese and sourdough bread)

I saw this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-El ... r+electric

which seems very powerful - but is power the key point? I'd like something that cuts more than it mashes, if you know what I mean?

many thanks
Salilah
Salilah
Registered Member

Re: UK which grinder?

Postby yotmon » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:56 pm

Hi Salilah, I use the Kenwood chef mincer and for my occasional use I found it does a decent job. It will easily mince 5lb of meat without issue.
Maybe your blade could do with a sharpen. Plus, make sure the meat is cut up neatly after removing any connective tissue and have it pretty well chilled to prevent the fat from smearing.
TBH, I would rather spend the money on a dedicated stuffer than another mincer.

Yotmon.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby Salilah » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:56 pm

Thanks Yotmon!
Yes it could well be that I'm not cutting up the meat properly - and yes either fridge or freezer would help
I've probably only done 10 lots of sausages since I've had the machine, but I can check the blade

Interesting that you'd buy a stuffer - I find the stuffing mechanism works really well! Though I do need OH to refill the tray once or twice - and I hate losing the last of the stuffing that is still in the machine...

As with many other things, it could well be the user (me) rather than the machine that needs improvement!!
thanks again
S
Salilah
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:03 pm

I agree with yotmon, carefully trim out all of the inter muscular tissue and cube the meat into small pieces. Get the meat very cold; I put it into the freezer until it is "dry " to the touch but not frozen.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:43 am

I also agree with regards to the stuffer.

But, your question was about grinding/mincing the meat. Make sure that the front plate of the machine is really tight against the flat of the blade. I mean really tight. It works with a shearing action, so any gap, or play, will result in mashing rather than cutting.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Salilah » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:43 am

Thanks NCPaul - I haven't tried with the meat really cold - will do that

And thanks wheels - a good point! I've only used the tightener to loosen the front after grinding - but of course it makes total sense to tighten thoroughly, to get the cutter really close to the holey thing (!)

thanks lots again to all - really appreciated
Happy Christmas!
regards
Salilah
Salilah
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies