New Zealand Grinder

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

New Zealand Grinder

Postby bgreen » Fri May 09, 2014 9:34 pm

Hi Can anyone recommend a meat grinder available in New Zealand that would be suitable for the home sasuage maker.... no more than 5 - 10kg per batch. There seems to be lots of cheap.... and dubious quality options and then a big jump to expensive commercial machines. I was hoping to pay no more than about $500.

So far i have found possible options such as...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/fishing/salt-water/other/auction-726881920.htm

http://netropolitan.co.nz/shop/tc-22-elegant-plus/

http://www.foodquip.co.nz/reber-meat-mi ... e.tpl.html

Thanks for your advice

Cheers Bruce
bgreen
Registered Member

Re: New Zealand Grinder

Postby BriCan » Sat May 10, 2014 4:14 am

bgreen wrote:Hi Can anyone recommend a meat grinder available in New Zealand that would be suitable for the home sausage maker.... no more than 5 - 10kg per batch. There seems to be lots of cheap.... and dubious quality options and then a big jump to expensive commercial machines. I was hoping to pay no more than about $500.

It is the same the world over; you pays for what you get. :wink:

If the $500 is your limit then stick to it, that being said out of the three link you put up and not taking into account the prices this is the one that catches my eye.

http://www.foodquip.co.nz/reber-meat-mi ... e.tpl.html

Hopefully their will be other along to give you a couple of cents worth of advice :lol:

By the way; a warm welcome to the party Bruce we are all here to help wherever we can :D
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Tasso » Sat May 10, 2014 6:12 am

I'm not in NZ and I'm not experienced in sausage making, but just looking at the available (and woefully incomplete) specs and prices of the three, I'd go for the one in the quote above. It has plenty of power, seems to be constructed of high quality materials, and fits within your budget. It also comes with two plates. It doesn't say if it's a #12 or #22, but it looks like a #12, just judging by the pictures. A #12 is perfect for much more than your anticipated use, in my opinion. A #22 is beyond overkill in terms of capacity, weight, and expense.

On the con side, that one from Save Barn is heavy. If you are going to have to move it every time you use it, make sure you're comfortable with lifting 28 kg up to table or counter height. That's about the size and weight of my #12 grinder too. I have to store mine out of the way and then bring it out to the counter whenever I want to use it. I find it heavy, but manageable.

One of your other choices, the N12 from Foodquip, comes with only one plate, a 6mm or an 8mm depending on the model. And also depending on the model, it has plastic parts. I'm more or less against plastic when it comes to heavy equipment like this.

The T-22 Tre Spade on the Netropolitan site is likely a good grinder, perhaps the best quality of the three, but very little is provided in the way of specs, so it's hard to know for sure. However, it's well over your budget, and it's a #22. I'd rule it out based on either of those factors if it were on my list.

Remember that no matter which one you buy, you are likely going to want to buy more plates. The Save Barn grinder comes with a 6mm and an 8mm. You'll probably want to add a 4mm and a 10mm to augment those.

I'm not expert. These are just my opinions.
Tasso
Registered Member

Postby bgreen » Sat May 10, 2014 6:36 am

Hi Tasso and BriCan thanks for the warm welcome and taking the time to reply. While i said my budget was around $500 if there was a grinder significantly better quality/value for an extra hundred or two that would be fine. I fully understand you get what you pay for... just trying to get the balance right for quality, parts availability and future servicing(if needed) regarding the quantity of meat i am wanting to use it for. Not wanting to mince a side of beef.... so not wanting too much overkill.... though some of the bigger models look like a bit of fun given the u-tube clips. Thanks again.
bgreen
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies