Advice for a newbie

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Advice for a newbie

Postby Wild1 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:26 am

Hi and Good Day,

This is my first post and my first go at making sausage. I bought the hand crank kit from sausagemaking.org and it came with casings and some seasonings. I am a British guy but I live in Malaysia so I also bought some vegetarian skins because of the dislike of pig products here. I have tried to make sausage using the vegetarian skins and am having some difficulties. The hand crank mincer is quite basic and crude but it seems to do the job of mincing but I find quite a bit of meat gets left behind at the end. Now to the crux of my problem and that is filling the skins.
The animal skins supplied with the kit have some stretch so they fill easily.
The vegetarian skin only seems to fit the smaller diameter stuffing tube supplied. But at the same time appears to be a little big for this tube. when filling I cannot seem to get the hand crank to pick up the meat smoothly with out pressing it down at the feeding end and then when extruded how do you ensure the skin is filled properly? I filled them first to what I thought was full but after 5 mins they burst open so obviously they were over filled. My next attempt was the opposite and they are all wrinkly and don't seem to be filled correctly. Is there a gauge or recommendation how to fill these?
When at the end of the meat is there a trick to get the meat out of the crank because there seems to be a lot left behind but cannot extrude anymore.

Does any one know where to buy HALAL skins with certificate I am interested to by Sheep if possible as they may have a bit more give in them than the vegetarian skins which appear to be a bit hard.

Thanks
Stephen
Wild1
Newly Registered

Re: Advice for a newbie

Postby NCPaul » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:31 am

Welcome to the forum. :D I'll try some of your questions; to keep from leaving meat in the mincer, I feed a handful of meat that has been ground into the mincer after the last of the meat and recover this when I take apart the mincer. Others have used bread or even cling wrap to do this. The meat left after stuffing is my snack. :D Synthetic casings have no stretch as you have found. Do you have someone that can help you when stuffing? Using your mincer as a stuffer, instead of using a dedicated stuffer, makes it more difficult to get a consistent fill.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Return to Equipment & Supplies