Places to buy beef bung and the metal clips used on haggis

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Places to buy beef bung and the metal clips used on haggis

Postby ScoobySnacks » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:34 pm

I've hit a bit of a brick wall on this one, and was hoping the sages on here might be able to help me out.

I'm looking to source a quantity of beef bung/caps. The best price I've found for them is £2.50 each. I'll be using them to make haggis, so will get, I believe, 5 or 6 one pound haggi from each bung (anyone know if this is roughly correct?).

That makes them by far the most expensive ingredient in my haggis. I've been told that I can buy them 100 at a time for £2 each, but I'm not sure how long they store for and even then it still costs more than all the other ingredients put together. I can buy artificial skins for far less.

Secondly, does anyone know about, or have a link to, the tools used to make the metal crimps found at the end of haggis. Even a name for the piece of kit would be something. At the moment I'm tying with butchers string, but this is time consuming and difficult to get a good tight seal.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.
ScoobySnacks
Registered Member

Re: Places to buy beef bung and the metal clips used on hagg

Postby johngaltsmotor » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:23 pm

No help on the bungs, but for the clips you are likely referring to "hog rings" and "hog ring pliers" to crimp them. (I'm guessing you use the same for haggis as other sausages)
Pigs are magical creatures.... they turn vegetables into BACON!!
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Postby kimgary » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:49 pm

Something like these
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:29 am

But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:45 am

ScoobySnacks wrote:I'm looking to source a quantity of beef bung/caps. The best price I've found for them is £2.50 each. I'll be using them to make haggis, so will get, I believe, 5 or 6 one pound haggi from each bung (anyone know if this is roughly correct?).

Yes, correct, so long as it is a 5+

That makes them by far the most expensive ingredient in my haggis.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm in the same boat

I've been told that I can buy them 100 at a time for £2 each, but I'm not sure how long they store for and even then it still costs more than all the other ingredients put together. I can buy artificial skins for far less.

I have kept over 3 years ... and yes they are ... There was a time when I could get for 1.32 GBP.. and to the last part ... I will never use artificial casings ... ever :mrgreen:

But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:51 pm

£2.05 each here, 5 for £10.25 (I think) http://www.sausage-casings.co.uk/ox-bungs-en/

But you need to spend £50 to get free shipping. So probably OK if you are stocking up on other things too.

I haven't used them though.
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby ScoobySnacks » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:32 pm

Thanks for all the advice. It's always funny searching for something, and one of your own forum posts coming up as the top result.

I've ordered some hog ring pliers and hog rings, after having a major snafu trying to use string. I noticed my local butcher uses string to close their haggis, so thought I'd give it a go. Result, five burst haggis and one pee'd off haggis maker. Oh well, you live and learn.

How much space do people leave when making haggis? Bri, I'd love mine to look like yours, would you care to share your production method? Where abouts in the country are you? I wonder if you're within reach, whether I could come and help you make a batch, to work out some of the glitches I have?

Cheers

Matt
ScoobySnacks
Registered Member

Postby ScoobySnacks » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:06 pm

Just noticed that you are in totally the wrong country Bri. Still, care to share your trade secrets? Maybe some pics of how they look, stuffed, before boiling?
ScoobySnacks
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies