Smoking in casings designed for water cooking.

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Smoking in casings designed for water cooking.

Postby LWP » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:22 am

I have some casings I purchased for use during the winter when the weather where I live is way too cold for outdoor smoking for several months. They were listed as "for water cooking for bologna and head cheese". I use them with my sous vide equipment for bologna and mortadella. My question is, can this type of casing also be used for smoking? I still have a few left and now that the weather has started warming, I'm looking forward to using my smoker. I'd like to use the casings up if I can but not if it's going to give a bad result. Thanks!
LWP
Registered Member

Re: Smoking in casings designed for water cooking.

Postby NCPaul » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:58 am

Welcome to the forum. :D It is my understanding that the casing you have would inhibit smoke penetration, so I would save them for next winter. You might like a smaller size for smoking or you'll be at it for a long time.

Are you using:
http://www.sausagemaker.com/24400redbol ... 124mm.aspx
or this:
http://www.sausagemaker.com/28100120mm4 ... sings.aspx
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby DanMcG » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:40 pm

the hi barrier casing will not take smoke at all.. A fibrous will take some smoke. Do you know what you have? or where you got them.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby LWP » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:47 pm

Thanks for the welcome! I had the description slightly wrong, the exact description is "Casing - Fibrous, For Water Cooking & Head Cheese (105 mm)". They're clear in color. It's really not important to use them now. I just thought if they'd work, I'd use them... but saving them for something else isn't a problem.
LWP
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies