Sausage Stuffer

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Sausage Stuffer

Postby snagmeup » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:50 pm

Hi All,
My first post here. I am looking to get a stuffer to loose my sausage making virginity :)

I was looking for a stuffer and the one mostly recommended for the UK home sausage maker is this one:
http://www.sausagemaking.org/acatalog/F ... uffer.html

Its a bit over my budget really.

I was wandering if anyone has tried this one on Ebay? I was wandering if its any good?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Ste ... 1930479206

Thank for any help :)
snagmeup
Registered Member

Re: Sausage Stuffer

Postby Swing Swang » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:08 pm

If you're doing it on a budget then why bother with a sausage stuffer if you're eager to get started?
My 90 year old mentor in still stuffs about 90kg of hand cut meat (no mincer) by hand through a small funnel costing no more than a couple of euros in an afternoon-early evening shift.
If you're making a small batch, say 5kg, and allow your farce to rest for a couple of days to stiffen up then hand stuffing is quite feasible, and quite fun, at least once in your life...

Just a thought (although you'll end up getting a stuffer eventually...)
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby Swing Swang » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:38 pm

Mine is very similar to the second stuffer and I'm very happy with it.
Couple of comments though:
- I think a vertical stuffer is better than a horizontal one because it can also be used for black pudding whereas a horizontal one would be very messy.
- because my cylinder isn't perfectly symmetrical it only fits one way round - this means that the handle is always on the same side of the machine, I didn't realise this until I'd used it a few times, so if you buy one do check it out straight away.
- with the second/stainless steel one you can remove and reattach the handle every 180 degrees so it's easy to only ever have to apply force on the 'down stroke' which makes it quite feasible to make stuffing a one man operation. I've no experience of the red stuffer, but this is something I'd check out if you don't intend to have an assistant.
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby bamsbbq » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:56 am

bamsbbq
Newly Registered

Postby dayfox » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:17 pm

I have made a hydro stuffer myself! Loving it like a little kid!
dayfox
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies