Butchers Knifes

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Butchers Knifes

Postby hmmm sausages » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:42 pm

I have had enough of rubbish kitchen knives now! they arent up to the job my new butchering skills lol I have a cleaver but its too wide and stick to thick slices of meat.

Any suggestions on to what type of knife i should get and where i can get it from??

I see Paul Kribs has some good looking butchers knives ;)

Cheers, Rob
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby Franco » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:09 am

If you can wait a few weeks you can buy from www.knives.co.uk I've just bought the domain name and am currently designing the site which will sell evry type of kitchen knife :lol:

I will sell the fibrox handled Victorinox, Wusthof, Henckels, Global, and a few of the new breed of jpanese chef's knives such as Kasumi and Haiku.

I have already set up accounts with these manufacturers so if anyone needs anything before the site is launched let me know and I'll get you a quote.

I'll keep you posted...

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Knives

Postby oldspots » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:49 am

Hi Franco

I shall certainly be interested in your knives. All our butchering knives are very, very old - some were given to us by butchers that retired. Keep us posted.
Own rare breed Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs and sell pork & bacon
oldspots
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:09 pm

Hi Oldspots

I can testify to the quality of Victorinox, Global and Henckles as I have a few of each. But I believe the best VFM is offered by Vicorinox. They are well made with good quality steel that holds its edge and well balanced.

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:29 am

WW, I agree cmpletely...

I have a block of globals at home which are awesome knives from a techical point of view, but if butchering big bits of meat the metal handle can be a bit slippery. Having said that you are hard pressed to beat them for regular kitchen prep.

The victorinox however is the best butchers knife I hhave used. The handle gives a good positive grip and there is some weight in the blade for decisive cuts. (Weight is something the globals lack).

I'll definately be getting a couple of Vic's from Franco when his site is up.

FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby hmmm sausages » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:55 pm

http://www.kitchenknivesdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Fibrox_Handles_.html

this is a URL I have found for knives, anyone got any advice or opinions on the butchers steak knife at the bottom and the boning knife above it?!

I want 2 knives to do most things, like prepare meat for mincing, boning meat for bacon etc and to slice me bacon when its cured

Advice appreicated as I dont want a knife that wont do what I want :D

Cheers, Rob
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:18 pm

Hi Hmmmm Sausages

Re the knives, I use the boning knife and personally I prefer the longer bladed variety, but as with a lot of knives it is personal preferance. The steak knife looks the job and I do use one but again mine is smaller but that is not through preference but through just using what I thought was a good buy at the time!

If you are going to go for these you may choose to look at www.scobiesdirect.co.uk and save yourself a few quid :wink:

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby hmmm sausages » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:24 pm

many thanks welsh wizard for the advice, scobies wins, loads cheaper there!!!!
Think I will order tonight :D Thank you !
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby hmmm sausages » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:40 am

Knives just came, looking rather good! Think I will get some bacon out and try it for slicing ability!

Need to get some more belly to baconify too so I can use my boning knife lol

Cheers for the advice everyone :D
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:46 am

hmmm sausages

When you slice your bacon you will find it a lot easier if you wipe the blade with a damp cloth between slices, and it pays to use a steel even when slicing.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:20 am

I agree with Paul, the way to keep a blade sharp is to keep sharpening it so the knife does not loose its edge.

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby hmmm sausages » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:33 pm

Just used my new boning knife for the first time, compared to my last bout of boning, with a normal kitchen knife, it was fantastic!! Sliced easily through the meat and gristly bits, leaving a very nicely prepared piece of belly pork. Very impressed!! THanks for the help everyone, I would now defo recommend Victorinox Knives and Scobies Direct!
Oh and to prove they are defo recommended, the butcher I got my belly from today was using the same knives as I have :D
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:45 pm

hmmm sausages

You will find that many butchers use Victorinox products, from knives to cleavers to saws. Even top chefs recommend and use them. As I have stated before, you really need a good steel to keep your knives in top condition.. Well worth the expenditure and so easy to use.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:46 pm

Glad they were up to your expectations. I have just purchased a Victorinox skinning knife for the more than a few deer I get each year and will have a go with that this weekend!

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby hmmm sausages » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:20 pm

Paul, any recommendations for steels? we have a rather old and not very effective example here, but I would like something decent to maintain my new knives sharpness. Scobies direct for a victorinox one? lol

Welsh - I am not as serious or experienced enough yet to dabble in the art of home butchery of pigs or bambi yet! its something I will defo think of for the future though :D
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Next

Return to Equipment & Supplies