How to get fat for your sausages

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

How to get fat for your sausages

Postby Oddley » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:20 am

I have been reading that you guys are having problems getting fat for your sausages. If you mix one lean meat, with one fatty meat, you can achieve the fat content you require. I have written a program for domestic use, to help you with this.

Here is my description from the help files included.

What is Sausage Makers Square.

Sausage makers Square is a program that provides the industry standard way of determining the fat content of sausage meat. With pigs being bred for much leaner meat due to public demand, the availability of pork fat is much reduced and the fat is much more expensive. Sausage Makers Square solves this problem, by allowing you to combine fatty meats with lean meat, to get the fat content you require.

What is Meat Calculator.

Meat Calculator, unlike many other Sausage Makers Square programs, allows you to work out automatically, the exact weights of the two meats, you need for your sausage making project. This is all accomplished using the results from Sausage Makers Square, within a simple to understand interface.

The program can be downloaded from two places.

http://rapidshare.de/files/12446033/Sau ... e.zip.html

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1SXWTN45

If you think the program is good, bad or you are having problems with it please post and let me know.
Oddley
Registered Member

Missing file

Postby Wontigonk » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:42 am

Your sausgae square program looks great, and really useful for a newbie like myself. Unfortuantely, the links you posted seem to have expired. Is it available from anywhere else?
TTFN

Wontigonk
Wontigonk
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:34 pm

I'm sure Oddley will post a new link soon.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:27 pm

Hi Wontigonk, I have uploaded the program for you and anybody else who missed it the first time.

Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Wontigonk » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:50 pm

Many thanks Oddley - playing with sausage software may help stem the frustration of today, where family induced delays made me miss the butcher - or in this case, 4 local butchers (can't say I didn't try...) Looks like Tuesday then...

Anyway, thanks for providing the software and the effort in writing it.
TTFN

Wontigonk
Wontigonk
Registered Member

Postby Deer Man » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:14 am

Oddley,

Downloaded the software, many thanks! How do you determine the percentage of fat(presumably visable?)in types and cuts of meat?

For example whats the % of fat in venison and other meats? and if i use back fat will the programme accept the 100%? :?

I know there are lots of variables such as breed cuts etc but are there any general percentages?

Many thanks for your time!
Safe Shooting, Good Hunting, Eat Well!
Deer Man
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:10 pm

It's all got a bit complicated ennit ?

whats wrong with your eyes these days.........you grab a pack of pork belly slices and a joint of pork shoulder that will give you about 75/25 of meat to fat.......I like a bit of tasty fat in my sausages

so there.
Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:32 pm

I'm with you Rik. I just buy a piece of likely-looking meat, mince it and stuff it. If it's fairly lean I make a coarse sausage, if it's fatty I make a fine mix.

Sausage is, after all, just a way of using up the left-overs from a carcass after the best cuts have been taken of.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:10 pm

Deer Man, I use the Visual/Lean notation.

Belly is usually 50% VL = 50% Fat
Shoulder is about 80% VL = 20% Fat
Loin about 70% VL = 30% Fat

Back fat surprisingly enough is not all fat can't remember the exact amount but think it is about 97% fat
Oddley
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies