New to the forum

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

New to the forum

Postby sevorg » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:24 pm

I discovered this forum a couple of weeks back so thought I'd introduce myself. I have had a first bash at some sausages using Oddley's Cumberland recipe which has proved very successful. I substituted fresh thyme for dried as it was all we have and I think I've slightly over-egged it. An casual internet search suggested using 3x the weight of fresh herbs for that of dried to correct for the water content. This is still a fantastic sausage compared with bought ones, however I think the extra pungency of the fresh herb has dominated the other flavours and with hindsight I would have possibly used less.

Equipment wise I bought an electric mincer http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/src ... 0wod3WcGXw which I am very pleased with, it feels well made for the price and does a good job mincing. Its stuffing performance is not particularly good for smaller casings so I have improvised a stuffer from a bricklayers' pointing gun (thoroughly cleaned) which worked quite well. This has highlighted I really need a dedicated stuffer. After reading though all the posts I have found on here, especially the recent one, viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12953, I have decided to buy either the Pro-V 3L stainless model at £130 or the 3L Hobby at £99 from the forum shop. It's a shame there is not more detailed info on the Hobby stuffer such as the number of nozzles and their sizes that come supplied.

I am planning to order one or the other next week and I'm presently favouring the Pro-V as it has 4 stainless nozzles which I expect to be far more robust than the plastic ones on the Hobby. Any information on the Hobby would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Tom
sevorg
Registered Member

Re: New to the forum

Postby NCPaul » Mon May 01, 2017 10:53 am

Welcome to the forum. :D Having a proper stuffer is always a good start to this hobby.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Mon May 01, 2017 1:36 pm

Welcome. Although provided by the shop, there's no direct link between the forum and shop. You'd be best to ask them about the stuffers.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby sevorg » Tue May 02, 2017 8:12 am

Thanks for the welcomes and info, I'll get in touch with the shop as I've got a list of recipes I want to try...

Tom
sevorg
Registered Member

Postby sevorg » Thu May 11, 2017 9:42 pm

Well, I had a good chat with a very pleasant lady at the shop and as a result am now the happy owner of the Pro-V 3L stainless stuffer. It arrived today and it really is an excellent, well-made piece of kit which I hope to be giving a workout over the weekend (once the beer is bottled and the next brew is under way...)
sevorg
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu May 11, 2017 9:43 pm

:D :D :D

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Equipment & Supplies