Salami fridge - humidity help

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Salami fridge - humidity help

Postby sumo_trades » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:20 pm

I've just put down my first batch of salami and while my 2 thermostats control the temp just fine in my converted freezer I'm paniking about humidity. My humidistat and humidifer are great for creating that nice 90% in the first 24hrs and really good for 80% too. But my drying phase of 70% is proving harder. I just can't get it down. There are only very big de-humidifiers available in Australia that wouldn't fit into my fridge. Any other suggestions? We have a "damp-rid" type of pellet (for cupboards etc) would that make a difference? Or maybe installing a little 12v computer fan would that help with drying it out? Our climate in Sydney is pretty humid most days lately around 60% :?
sumo_trades
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:37 pm

I would suggest that 60 % RH would be fine so take your salami out and leave it in the 60% environment. It will take a bit longer to lose weight and complete the cure but 60% is a good humidity for your salami's. Personally I would say 60% is a good environment.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Last edited by Paul Kribs on Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby aris » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:39 pm

Problem is that it is now summer in Sydney - so while the humidity might be right, the temperature would not (unless you had a cellar or something).

To bring your humidity down, you might open the door a crack, or make some ventilation holes which you can cover up when necessary.
aris
Site Admin

Postby sumo_trades » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:07 am

That's right aris, while humidity at the moment is around 60% temperatues can be up around 32 degrees and down to 12 degress at our place in Sydney. I guess becuase it's my first go I'm anxious like an expectant mother. Studying the mold is becoming daily entertainment. I think I will try and leave the door open for a little while when I get home from work each night.
sumo_trades
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:44 am

The fridge should automaticall pull down the humidity if the humidifier is switched off, by condensing the water vapour on the cooling element! Are you seeing no lowering of the humidity when the fridge is running? Perhaps it would pay to temporarily decrease the temperature, which will lower the humidity and then once the humidity has been reduced to increase the temperature again to continue the curing process?

Good luck anyway, I am sure it will all turn out ok!

Regards,
Richard
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies