Vacuum bag liquid membrane

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Vacuum bag liquid membrane

Postby gsevelle » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:33 pm

I'm trying to find a supplier of the membrane material that is used in food vacuum bags. Foodsaver offers precut bags with the membrane and Umai both offer strips for their bags. I'm looking for a source that is willing to sell the material by the roll as I want to use it with my own custom sized bags.

I have not been successful in my internet search in finding a source I've used the search terms using vacuum, membrane and liquid blocking the only thing that is consistently returned are the Foodsaver liquid blocking premade bags. I'm U.S. Based, any ideas where I might be able to source this material?

Yes I've used the paper towel method but am not really excited about how that looks especially when sharing the sealed bags with friends and don't want to use them in my Sous Vide.

Help!!!
The smoke is rising and the butt is brining
gsevelle
Registered Member

Re: Vacuum bag liquid membrane

Postby crustyo44 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:40 am

You could try Alibaba.com. China supplies now a lot of the plastic bags sold in the western world. I bet they have a manufacturer that produces the ribbed variety as well. I bought a roll once on EBay that had
Chinese marking on it. I think that there are 3 thicknesses available.
Good Luck
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:31 am

Hi gsevelle,
I just looked up on Alibaba.com if they manufacture large rolls of the vacuum bag material. Check out:https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Plastic-Vacuum-Embossed-Roll_606927948.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.576.68fcadb0vxk3uv&s=p
or search for Transparent plastic embossed vacuum rolls. Some are manfacturers that could re-direct you to their distributors that sell in 100 metre rolls or longer. Just ask them but go to the manufacturers first. Their range is from 150mm to 1700 mm wide.
By the way, I thought you lived in Sweden.
Cheers,
Jan. Australia.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:54 am

I don't think you'll find it by the roll, only by the pad. the absorbent material need to be sealed in the outer layer, and if is cut off a roll it would have an open side for the liquid to escape.
Search "Absorbent Meat Pads" there's a few sizes to choose from.
HTH
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby gsevelle » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:54 pm

DanMcG wrote:I don't think you'll find it by the roll, only by the pad. the absorbent material need to be sealed in the outer layer, and if is cut off a roll it would have an open side for the liquid to escape.
Search "Absorbent Meat Pads" there's a few sizes to choose from.
HTH

Thanks, I just did a search as you suggested however the "Absorbent Meat Pad" is not intended to be integrated into the seal of the bag as is the case with the material that UMAi uses. UMAi does sell the moisture strips separately they just won't sell the material by the roll.

Thank you all for the replies, note that I can find the bags with the strips included that is not what I'm looking for. Dan is the closest with the meat pads as this would be something that I could add to my existing bags.

George
The smoke is rising and the butt is brining
gsevelle
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies