Sausage stuffer mountings?

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Sausage stuffer mountings?

Postby Bottles » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:17 pm

Hi all.
I'm slowly trying to get a sausage stuffer together. Tried to buy cheap ones off auction sites without any success. But I did end up buying a cheap body of a stuffer with its piston top. What I need to do now is make the frame work to hold the 5kg stuffer body. Can anyone take a photo of the round internal bolts heads that support the stuffer at the bottom and most importantly the top ones. As these have a spring to help hold it in place.
I have measured the spaces that give me an idea of what to make. Luckily I have access to metal lathes etc.
My first attempt at this will use a wooden frame with long arm that will push a wooden am down into the drum.
The gear racks to create a ratchet are quite expressive for what they are. How much force is required to force the piston down. I've never used a stuffer so don't know what force is required.
I've had a couple of goes using either hand grinders or electric grinder to make sausages. Which have gone Ok but ended up with fine mince when I wanted coarse.
Andrew
Bottles
Registered Member

Re: Sausage stuffer mountings?

Postby NCPaul » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:03 am

I think there is more force than you realize. This can vary by the type of sausag you're making and by size of the sausage horn you're using. My stuffer, at half the size of yours, has a frame of 1/4 inch steel and the piston is screw driven with a long handle to give mechanical advantage. Maybe ask a butcher if you could borrow of try a small stuffer to get a feel for using one.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Return to Equipment & Supplies