Sausage stuffer

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Postby aris » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:06 pm

Bob wrote:
Oddley wrote:Comparing the American website to the UK one you will notice a substitution of prices of nearly $1 to �1 thereby just competing over here.

I must be missing something.

The current exchage rate gives you approximately $1.85 for each Pound. That would seem to imply that you can buy 85% more for your money all else considered equal.

Over here we call it 'Rip off Britain". It is fairly common for stuff here to cost the same in pounds as it does for US$ 1=1. WHy? Because they can get away with it. There are other reasons too - like 17.5% sales tax (built into price) and higher costs, but nothing to justify the rip-offs we see. Consumers are getting wise to this and there is alot of backlash to it. Plenty of people go shopping in continental europe for clothes, and other goods (even food) once or twice a year to save loads of money.
aris
Site Admin

Postby aris » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:10 pm

Bob wrote:
aris wrote:Northern tool have a UK website - though they don't sell those kind of stuffers.

It appears to be a new item in the US. The price is very attractive at $80. Allied Kenco in Houston wants $200.

I bought a meat grinder/stuffer from Northern Tool in Houston for $99 on sale.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... 89&R=36989

It's a Tasin "TS-108 SUPER GRINDER (HOME USE)".

http://www.tasin.com.tw/mincer/Ts-108_en.html

But it is too aggressive when used as a stuffer - it emulsifies the meat mixture even when the meat is frozen. The original model was not designed to stuff sausage - Northern threw in a couple stuffing tubes to meet the demands of the American market.

For the last few sausages I have been using a cheap jergy gun I got from Nesco. The capacity of the fill tube is only 1/2 lb so it is not useful for large batches. But since I make up just a pound at a time, I only have to recharge it once, which is not that big a deal. One advantage of a small unit is that it is very easy to clean up - less than 1 minute.

Be sure to speak to someone who has used one of thesd stuffers first.

From what I've heard, the cheaper stuffers have alot of 'blow-by' where the plunger does not have a rubber gasket of any kind, and meat just blows by past it. Not ideal.

The Rebers have a rubber gasket (of which i'd like to get some spares - have those arrived yet Franco??) doesn't let anything past. Works very well indeed.

You can buy Rebers in the US - just do a google search.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Bob » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:13 pm

aris wrote:
Bob wrote:
Oddley wrote:Comparing the American website to the UK one you will notice a substitution of prices of nearly $1 to �1 thereby just competing over here.

I must be missing something.

The current exchage rate gives you approximately $1.85 for each Pound. That would seem to imply that you can buy 85% more for your money all else considered equal.

Over here we call it 'Rip off Britain". It is fairly common for stuff here to cost the same in pounds as it does for US$ 1=1. WHy? Because they can get away with it. There are other reasons too - like 17.5% sales tax (built into price) and higher costs, but nothing to justify the rip-offs we see. Consumers are getting wise to this and there is alot of backlash to it. Plenty of people go shopping in continental europe for clothes, and other goods (even food) once or twice a year to save loads of money.

I still don't get why the OP said "$1 to �1 thereby just competing over here". I would think that if you took your Pounds and converted them into Dollars and used those Dollars to buy products in the US, you would be way better off and not "just competitive".
Bob
Registered Member

Postby Bob » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:40 pm

aris wrote:
Bob wrote:
aris wrote:Be sure to speak to someone who has used one of thesd stuffers first.

From what I've heard, the cheaper stuffers have alot of 'blow-by' where the plunger does not have a rubber gasket of any kind, and meat just blows by past it. Not ideal.

If it did that I would take it back. I have no reason to believe that the stuffer quoted by Northern Tool is cheap. The same unit sells for $200 at Allied Kenco.

I believe the unit is made by "The Sausage Maker, Inc."

http://www.sausagemaker.com/

As far as the jerky gun, it does not squirt past the piston.

The Rebers have a rubber gasket (of which i'd like to get some spares - have those arrived yet Franco??) doesn't let anything past. Works very well indeed.
You can buy Rebers in the US - just do a google search.

All I could find is "Reber Insaccatrice Bag Filling Machine" which sounds rather indecent. But upon closer inspection I discovered it was the one you all are talking about. It looks like a good unit, but the cost is way too high for my purposes.

As crude as it may seem to you sausage experts, that little 1/2 lb jerky gun works fine for 1 lb batches. Since I like variety in my sausages I only make 1 lb at a time, so I really don't need anything elaborate at this moment.
Bob
Registered Member

Postby Bob » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:53 pm

Check out the LEM Products website:

http://www.lemproducts.com/cat04/cat04_sausst.pdf

1. The manual stuffer has a rubber gasket to prevent blowby. You can order the gasket kit to retrofit older stuffers.

2. The crank stuffer looks the same as the one shown by Northern Tool but it is more expensive.

I just bought the LEM Jerky Gun which can also be used to stuff sausage.

http://www.alliedkenco.com/jerky.htm

You can also get a sausage stuffer tube from Allied Kenco (same page). I did not get the sausage tube because I had one from a #8 size grinder, which is the same size as the Jerky Gun.

The unit is professionally built. It holds 1 lb of meat and dispenses it in about a dozen easy strokes, especially if you wet the side of the meat roll when you put it in the meat tube. The meat tube is transparent so you can see how far you are.

You can buy extra meat tubes in case you want to stuff more than 1 lb at a time, or you can do what I do and refill the tube after taking if off momentarily.

The LEM Jerky Gun stuffer is a real bargain at $30. I had been using a Nesco jerky gun with a 1/2 lb capacity, but it is a kid's toy by comparison.

LEM also has a larger unit that looks like a caulking gun but it is more expensive and not worth the extra expense for my purposes since I usually only make a pound at a time.
Bob
Registered Member

Products

Postby dbabkb » Wed May 24, 2006 1:09 pm

You can find all this stuff at One STOP Jerky Shop as well, but not sure if they ship International. They do carry the Tasin TS-108 electric meat grinder I do know that, along with a few others. The Tasin grinder has gone up in price I think due to it's popularity with hunters and now in the pet food making. I don't think Northern carries it anymore from what I can tell but carries a similar looking model just as an FYI.

I have used the jerky gun for stuffing before as well until I broke down and got a stuffer. Just holds more meat with less refilling. The jerky gun is definitely the cheaper way to go but word of advice. Get the biggest one you can! :lol:
dbabkb
Registered Member

Postby BBQer » Wed May 24, 2006 5:33 pm

I have one of the Northern Tools 5 lb. sausage stuffers. It has the piston rubber O-ring. Works great.

I can't believe the price range for this item. Northern Tool $79.95
Sausage-stuffer.com $215.99 for the same exact stuffer.
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby David. » Wed May 24, 2006 7:37 pm

The stuffer is $20.00 cheaper @ www.grizzly.com $59.99 or 32 U.K. Pounds Sterling.. Best price anywhere and shows just how much the machine costs to make......

David.
David.
Registered Member

Postby aris » Thu May 25, 2006 6:55 pm

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=912

FOB from China they can be pretty cheap ($9 in this case). Of course once you add freight charges, vat, customs, clearance, and a a modest markup, they do get more expensive.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Franco » Thu May 25, 2006 7:27 pm

Where do you get the $9 from Aris?

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby aris » Thu May 25, 2006 8:15 pm

Your posting in the link above.
aris
Site Admin

Postby dbabkb » Tue May 30, 2006 4:31 pm

I would agree that you get what you pay for. If your an infrequent home user then the price would be right for the china model. You could step up to the all stainless models or the Chop Rite Two stuffers that are cast iron and will out live you. It would turn into a nice antique eventually. The 5 pound model works fine for me as I make small batches and I paid around $125 if I recall. Just my two pennies! :roll:
dbabkb
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Tue May 30, 2006 5:37 pm

aris wrote:
Shaun wrote:Bern
I Have not got a reber yet but wil be getting one soon.

Fatman/Aris
Does the second speed make any difference of ease on the duel speed rebers?

I've never used a single-speed one - so i'm not sure how it is geared, but on the dual speed one, the one gear is much easier.

I hate to be a spoilsport for people who believe that a table top filler has two speeds. The faster one is so that you can wind the piston back quickly to refill the barrel with another batch.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Equipment & Supplies