Sausage stuffer

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Sausage stuffer

Postby Shaun » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:03 pm

Franco/Anybody
What do you think would be the easiest stuffing machine to use? The reason I ask is that I at present have the porkert hand stuffer and this machine needs alot of strength to use. My 11year old son is now getting well into the sausage making process and I would like a machine that he could use. Does the reber need alot of strength to use?
Shaun
Registered Member

Postby bern » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:48 am

did you get a reber stuffer and what is it like to use as i want to buy 1
bern
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:13 am

My 5 year old son has no problem cranking the 8kg Reber.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Fatman » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:12 pm

Hi Chaps

I am not kidding when I say this, but you cannot and I mean cannot find better than a " Reber" for value for money, mine is an 8kg model. I have over the years used many different kinds and I'm not saying the Reber is the best, that in my opinion is the "Dick" range from Germany.

The Reber can be operated by a child with considerable ease.

Just one thought , an horizontal filler is of no use if you use liquid based sausages ie. black pudding mix. So a "Porket" stuffer would be useful for this job. Myself I do not make black pudding so a horizontal stuffer is fine for me.

I have a selection of stuffers in my museum (kitchen) if you live near Herefordshire I would be willing for you to try the different types.( I do not have any stuffers for sale, you will have to source your own)

Fatman
Fatman
Registered Member

Postby Shaun » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:47 pm

Bern
I Have not got a reber yet but wil be getting one soon.

Fatman/Aris
Does the second speed make any difference of ease on the duel speed rebers?
Shaun
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:51 pm

Shaun wrote:Bern
I Have not got a reber yet but wil be getting one soon.

Fatman/Aris
Does the second speed make any difference of ease on the duel speed rebers?

I've never used a single-speed one - so i'm not sure how it is geared, but on the dual speed one, the one gear is much easier.
aris
Site Admin

Postby aris » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:52 pm

Fatman wrote:Hi Chaps

I am not kidding when I say this, but you cannot and I mean cannot find better than a " Reber" for value for money, mine is an 8kg model. I have over the years used many different kinds and I'm not saying the Reber is the best, that in my opinion is the "Dick" range from Germany.

The Reber can be operated by a child with considerable ease.

Just one thought , an horizontal filler is of no use if you use liquid based sausages ie. black pudding mix. So a "Porket" stuffer would be useful for this job. Myself I do not make black pudding so a horizontal stuffer is fine for me.

I have a selection of stuffers in my museum (kitchen) if you live near Herefordshire I would be willing for you to try the different types.( I do not have any stuffers for sale, you will have to source your own)

Fatman

I've never made black pudding either. Do you need a stuffer at all to make it? If it is liquid, couldn't you just pour it in using a funnel of some sort?
aris
Site Admin

Postby Shaun » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:06 pm

Aris
Thanks for your promtreply.
Black pudding is not a liquid as such it is a wetter mixture than sausage meat. You probably could use a funnel with ease, probably a two person job though. When you think about it all sausage stuffers are funnels.
Shaun
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:19 pm

Sounds like it is a wet slurry type mixture. You could build a little frame to keep it in a 45 degree angle to do such a mixture. Perhaps it is overkill of course :-) Personally, i'd just take a fizzy-drinks bottle, cut the bottom off and use it as a funnel. As you say though - a two person job.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Fatman » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:45 pm

Shaun

I find the two gear machines are far less frustrating and a benefit to use if you are making more than say 10lb of sausage. Also you do find that a lot of recipes are best suited to the 8kg model, albeit refilling is no problem , I'm just thinking lazy.

Fatman
Fatman
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:58 pm

I'm thinking it is nice to have two stuffers. One large, and one small. Large for making large quantities. Small for small quantities - for example experiments of a kilo or less. I suspect a small porkert would be ideal for this.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:17 pm

I have the 3 kilo Reber. It is quite difficult to turn, pretty much a 2 person job. Unfortunatly my kitchen is very small so didn't have room for the bigger models.
Oddley
Registered Member

stuffers

Postby Franco » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:05 pm

I use a Reber stuffer for anything over a kilo or so and if I'm making a couple of sausages from a bit of spare pork I use a number 5 Porkert with sausage attachments.

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Re: stuffers

Postby aris » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:12 pm

Franco wrote:I use a Reber stuffer for anything over a kilo or so and if I'm making a couple of sausages from a bit of spare pork I use a number 5 Porkert with sausage attachments.

Franco

Which is the #5 porkert?
aris
Site Admin

porkert

Postby Franco » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:19 pm

Franco
Site Admin

Next

Return to Equipment & Supplies