Sausage stuffer

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Postby aris » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:40 pm

What size tubes does it come with?
aris
Site Admin

Postby ceebee » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:37 pm

Can anybody tell me the benefits of a sausage stuffer over the sausage attachment for an electric mincer please? I have a very robust standalone mincer and have just made my first batch of pork sausages using hog casings but found that it was hard to control the flow and consistency so that I ended up with lots of different shapes and sizes! I am sure it will improve with practice but would like to know if a sausage stuffer will help me.

This is my first post to the forum although I have been an avid reader for a week or so. Some really good and interesting stuff from all over the world.
ceebee
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:21 pm

Welcome to the forum ceebee.

All I can tell you is I first tried with a mixer sausage attachment but didn't like it.

I have since bought a Reber from Franco and it is much better. A bit of advice if you have room buy the 5 kg or bigger model with two gears as the one I have (3 kg is a bit hard to turn sometimes).
Oddley
Registered Member

sausage stuffer v mincer

Postby ceebee » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:55 am

Thanks Oddley. Please will you elaborate on why you didn't get on with the mincer and why the stuffer is easier?
ceebee
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:44 pm

Ok the mincer I have is an attachment for the kenwood chef and is a good mincer. the problems are:

1. The speed at which the stuffing is ejected can't be controlled.
    2. The meat around the spindle is heated and becomes dark grey to light black.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby tonycaegarw » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:41 am

If anyone is near North Wales and wants to see my Reber 8kg feel free to give me a call. They are fantastic machines but make your mix 'wet' enough and they work fantastically. I don't think that you will better these.
tonycaegarw
Registered Member

Postby Fatman » Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:10 pm

Glad to hear you have got your Reber and cheers for the p.m.

Regards

Fatman
Fatman
Registered Member

Postby Bob » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:56 pm

For those willing to shop the US market - which is advantageous now because of the weak Dollar - you might want to check out this:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... =200308623
Bob
Registered Member

Postby aris » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:04 pm

By the time you factor shipping, and taxes, you're pretty much worse off.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:13 pm

Bob I have had a look the prices as usual in the States they are very good. It doesn't say on the site if they post international.

The problem with heavy items is the shipping is very expensive. I speak from experience as I have enquired about other stuff. This takes the cream off the deal.

Anybody that wants any of this stuff though will just have to bite the bullet.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby aris » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:21 pm

Northern tool have a UK website - though they don't sell those kind of stuffers.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:14 pm

Comparing the American website to the UK one you will notice a substitution of prices of nearly $1 to �1 thereby just competing over here.
Oddley
Registered Member

Stuffers from the Sates

Postby Parson Snows » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:25 pm

The replace the "dollar sign with the pound sign" logic has been around forever. What I would suggest is that If you know any airline crews that fly to the states you could ask them to pick you up one of the smaller size stuffers (5 lb or 15 lb) for you. Plan ahead and have it sent to their office or the hotel that they will be staying at. They are not really that heavy. Pay the US price and offer to have some great sausages for them the next time you see them. That's how I got my first one into Thailand.

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby Bob » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:25 pm

Oddley wrote:Comparing the American website to the UK one you will notice a substitution of prices of nearly $1 to �1 thereby just competing over here.

I must be missing something.

The current exchage rate gives you approximately $1.85 for each Pound. That would seem to imply that you can buy 85% more for your money all else considered equal.
Bob
Registered Member

Postby Bob » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:50 pm

aris wrote:Northern tool have a UK website - though they don't sell those kind of stuffers.

It appears to be a new item in the US. The price is very attractive at $80. Allied Kenco in Houston wants $200.

I bought a meat grinder/stuffer from Northern Tool in Houston for $99 on sale.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... 89&R=36989

It's a Tasin "TS-108 SUPER GRINDER (HOME USE)".

http://www.tasin.com.tw/mincer/Ts-108_en.html

But it is too aggressive when used as a stuffer - it emulsifies the meat mixture even when the meat is frozen. The original model was not designed to stuff sausage - Northern threw in a couple stuffing tubes to meet the demands of the American market.

For the last few sausages I have been using a cheap jergy gun I got from Nesco. The capacity of the fill tube is only 1/2 lb so it is not useful for large batches. But since I make up just a pound at a time, I only have to recharge it once, which is not that big a deal. One advantage of a small unit is that it is very easy to clean up - less than 1 minute.
Bob
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment & Supplies