Which Knives

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Which Knives

Postby aris » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:51 pm

Anyone got an advice on what are a good set of knives to have for the home butcher/cook?

I have a nice cleaver, and a chefs knife, and a big-ass butchers/steak knife (from scobies), and a mish-mash of other knives. I think what i'm missing is a good boning knife - but there are so many. Which should I get?
aris
Site Admin

Postby Wohoki » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:57 pm

Victorinox make a good boning/utility knife, but if you are in the possition to work slowly and with care, you can't get better value than:

http://www.worldknives.com/product.asp? ... &manuid=40

They take a bit of practice, but they cut like nothing else, and it's a great site (join their Club, they do some stunning bargains.)
Last edited by Wohoki on Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:01 pm

Yes, but what size/shape/width boning knife is a good all-rounder?

There are so many to choose from! I'll probably buy a victorinox.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Wohoki » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:07 pm

The most usual trait that folk look for in a boning knife is a flex to the blade, so it follows the bone. I work slowly, so I find a sharp, rigid blade better, but I have had a bit of practice.

I'd probably go with a Victorinox with an maximum of a seven or eight inch flexable blade for a start (just a utility or filleting knife), if you find it imprecise try something with a rigid blade (like the Japanese blade I recommended above.)
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby hmmm sausages » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:18 pm

I bought 2 victorinox knives, a 25cm steak knife and a 15cm boning knife!! they are MEGGAR!!! cut through anything and hold their sharpness well!! and their fibrox handles are none slip when you are covered in blood and fleshy bits Get them from scobies direct for best prices

Rob
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby smallroberto » Tue May 30, 2006 2:12 pm

i find that the 6" victorianox knives work best although if you are looking for a really good knife you should enmquire about a knive maker called global they look brilliant and last for a very long time but if you are just looking for a cheaper knife that will do the job have a look for "dick" knives very good quality! hope this helps!
smallroberto
Newly Registered

Postby Fallow Buck » Tue May 30, 2006 2:56 pm

I use both the Globals and the Victorinox and the latter is my knife of choice. The Globals are fine knives but they are not a utility knife. greta in the kitchen but not for taing down a whole carcas. Also in the wrong (inexperienced) hands they can be dangerous as they have a metal handle which can get a bit slippery wwith big jobs.

I tend to do the big work with the victorinox boning and steak knifes and perhaps use the globals for meal preperation.

At the end of the day look at what the pro's use.

Rgds,
FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Tue May 30, 2006 4:43 pm

Like FB I use a mixture of Global, Victorinox and Gustaff Emill. FOr meat prep though Victorinox are the ones, and as Hmmm Sausages has said Scobies Direct are by far the cheapest - excellent service too.........

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Tue May 30, 2006 5:26 pm

aris wrote:Yes, but what size/shape/width boning knife is a good all-rounder?

Victorinox 6 inch boner is the industry favourite.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby aris » Tue May 30, 2006 5:51 pm

pokerpete wrote:

Haha.. good thing your comment is in the context of knives :lol: :lol: :lol:
aris
Site Admin

Postby pokerpete » Tue May 30, 2006 6:43 pm

aris wrote:
pokerpete wrote:

Haha.. good thing your comment is in the context of knives :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well I did think of calling it a Mutton Dagger.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue May 30, 2006 6:48 pm

I am very pleased with my selection of Victorinox knives. From boning to slicing raw and cooked meats, the chefs knife and even the cleaver.. Brilliant performance, none-slip, easy cleaning and take and retain an edge very well.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Tue May 30, 2006 6:59 pm

Wohoki wrote:The most usual trait that folk look for in a boning knife is a flex to the blade, so it follows the bone. I work slowly, so I find a sharp, rigid blade better, but I have had a bit of practice.

I'd probably go with a Victorinox with an maximum of a seven or eight inch flexable blade for a start (just a utility or filleting knife), if you find it imprecise try something with a rigid blade (like the Japanese blade I recommended above.)

Begging your pardon Sir, I don't think that flexibility in a boning knife is a good thing, as it's more likely to slip. Constant usage and sharpening of the workend (tip) will give a better result in getting into the nooks and crannies.
IMO the only knives where flexibility is important are fish filleting knives for obvious reasons.
BTW if you are going to buy good knives, buy a good steel as well.
You might also try carboot sales to find oilstones from the late Grandpa's shed.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue May 30, 2006 9:27 pm

pokerpete

I would also add that when boning a belly/loin that a flexible knife is a good investment for sheet boning the ribs, which I like to do to make chinese ribs at full length of the rib.
I agree totally that the important investment of good knives needs the investment of a good steel... absolutely. They tend nowadays to come pre-sharpened so an oilstone is not as important as it used to be, although I would advise anyone who wants to keep their knife edge keen to invest in a good medium grade diamond stone as well as a good quality steel.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby moggy » Wed May 31, 2006 8:41 am

Victorinox is my favourite, I agreed that the handles are wonderfully non slip. I got given a quite nice set by Anthony Worral Thompson, which seem to be a immitation global knife set and yes with metal handles your hands can easily slip on them. However the cleaver is nice as it is heavier than the average cleaver you find in knife sets.
moggy
Registered Member

Next

Return to Equipment & Supplies