PROBLEMS WITH A REBER 3KG.....

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

PROBLEMS WITH A REBER 3KG.....

Postby Rik vonTrense » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:57 pm

It is not my intention to teach any one to suck eggs but not everyone is mechanically minded enough to sort out problems with equipment.

I recently bought a Reber stuffer which was second hand from a member on ebay. The description was that it had been used once for a barbeque last year and not been used since. So I bought it on these conditions.

When it arrived it look like new in it's original box both machine and box were unmarked. Ofcourse I did not go over the moving bits with a magnifying glass to check for wear.

I have probably used it for about ten kilos of meat.

On the last use I found that the meat containerwas lifting up from it's horizontal position and I was having to hold it down whilst turning the handle. Furhter investigation I found that the piston was not staying still on it's thrust instead was rotating as it pushed the meat out of the stuffer.

It appeared that the threaded shaft was bent or something was causing the piston to act as if it was eccentric.

So as I had reached the end of my filling it was strip down to clean time.

I found that the piston had come off of the shaft and also that the cup and ball joint at the end of the shaft was locked up in bent position thus causing the out of balance movement that made it appear eccentric.

I removed the offset securing pin and took the piston boss off of the threaded shaft.

Close examination under magnification revealed that the grove into which the retaining pin sits had now got a heavy burr caused by the high tensile retaining pin being thrust against the relatively soft steel shaft.

This meant that as the piston was forced back whilst compressing the meat the piston boss was being forced onto the burring and beconming jammed so that it went round with the shaft.

Now designwise two hard metals rubbing against each other without lubrication is a NO NO and the heat generated will eventually cause a breakdown.

So out with the dremmil and on with magnifying safety glasses and we remove the burrs and make it so that it is now the free turning joint it supposed to be. Lashing of white petroleum jelly is now packed into this cup and ball joint and I thought it prudent to also lubricate the threaded shaft likewise.

If this machine has only been used for the stated time then the wear on this joint is something to be worried about as this is the main part of the machine which is under stress all of the time and must be kept lubricated.

In future my cleaning operation will include removing the retaining screw and taking the piston off of the shaft for cleaning and leaving the shaft on the machine....this can be acheived by removing the retaining screw through the filler orifice with an allen key and just backing off the shaft so that the meat container can be lifted out of it's resting position without the need for winding the shaft all the way back,

I hope this helps someone as I don't think Reber give any maintenance instruction in their manual ........if they supply one that is.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:02 pm

HERE'S AN UPDATE........

since I poked around in the REBER and did several grinding jobs and reassembled it.....I decided that all the moving parts could do with lubricating so I applied white petroleum jelly to all moving metal parts especially the drive shaft....it now runs like a Rolls Royce.

I put a Kilo plus of beef and Pork through it with my callogen skins seeped in olive oil on the smallest tube and I was surprised how easy it went through.....in fact I drove the whole load through without a stop and it made about a metre of sausage which linked absolutely perfect with no airlocks at all......and all with a nice steady turning of the handle

I was very careful in loading the meat and made sure that there were no air pockets by pressing in the meat with my fingers....this time there was no evidence of any "worms" coming from the pipe nut so the flutes must be there for expelling air.

Maybe me and the REBER can be friends after all........

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby porker » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:52 pm

Thanks for that....I had sort of set my mind on a Reber...But I prefer the idea of a vertical stuffer, based on nothing other than I feel it should be the best design.

Best Regards :)
porker
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies