Callogen casings..

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Callogen casings..

Postby Rik vonTrense » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:06 pm

There is a bloke on ebay selling collagens at half price they are 36 metres for �4 free postage. Seemed like a good buy they were marked up as 23's by 36M.

Only snag is they do not go on the smallest Reber tube unless you feed them on like a hog casing and you can't get very much one the tube.

You would think that a 23ml casing would go onto a 15 tube with ease.

They will make nice slim jim's or frankfurters in small batches.

Last edited by Rik vonTrense on Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby aris » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:22 pm

I've found that problem with the Reber tubes - don't work well with collagen. To use collagen you really need straight tubes instead of the fluted ones that come with the reber. If anyone knows of a source for these that they KNOW fit the Reber - please let me know.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Rik vonTrense » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:31 pm

Well I have been knocking the Reber but it is like the Sargeant Major...you hate his guts when you first get drafted in....but after a while you begin to see the sense in what he does.....

Now these collagen casings that I was moaning about and them not fitting the Reber tubes........WELL........

As I have said I have started to keep my collagens in a jar of olive oil....it makes them nice and supple to handle especially when linking.

Also I have found that you can feed them on as you do hog casings and you can get quite a bit on them too.......they fill easily...... again my supa vas does the trick with the winding up the gramaphone......they shoot out with alarming speed and they do not need holding on the tube.

Before I used to put 28's on the smallest tube but had to hold that on most of the time and feed off the casing. But I get the 23 on the smallest tube now and the 28 goes easily on the second smallest for nice fat porkers.

Admittedly they do not stretch like naturals but they are still very supple and do not tend to tear now.

Last edited by Rik vonTrense on Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby roseway » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:05 am

Rik, I hope you'll pardon a bit of pedantry, but it's cOllAgen, not cAllOgen. :)

Eric
roseway
Registered Member

Postby hmmm sausages » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:57 am

I got some thin collagen casings from ebay, they are rubbish and i cant get the buggers on me filler, which isnt reber i might add. gave up on them and now i only use natural casings :)
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:17 am

Thank you Eric....must have had a mental block I have corrected them...

Sausages.....these I got turned out to be just fine as I said I found that keeping them in a jar of olive oil vastly improves their handling and I made a perfect batch of 3 Kilos of 9 inch slim jims all in one go and I found that this time they did not need controlled feeding off of the reber tube.

Infact the source has said he had 30ml casings as well for the same price.

At the moment I feel that using these under these conditions is better for me that natural casings.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies