Vac packer

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Vac packer

Postby Wohoki » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:07 am

My smoker is working now, so I'll need to start freezing stuff (noteably some wonderful biltong that's just ready: thanks for the recipes Aris :D )
So, I'm thinking of getting one of Franco's vac packers, but I thought I'd ask: are they any good and are they worth the money?
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:14 am

We've Had the Reber one for some time now and use it for all our sausages before freezing and also cure all our meats in them. It also shelflifes things in the fridge by 2 or 3 times length
Wilf
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:29 am

Well I have a vac packer but not the Reber one that Franco sells.

Mine is the American Foodsaver 550. which hionestly I would not be without I don't say that I use it every day but if there is anything needing to be packed or frozen they out it comes......it is fantastic and it keeps stuff without freezing for days longer that it would not vacuum packed and some frozen stuff it will keep for up to three years.

There is a drawback though and that is the cost of the bags. These are special design and a large 12 inch roll costs a tenner. You can make your own lengths and it seals both ends. So if you buy the normal two roll box and the box of 48 standard bags 12x8 inches these will cost almost �40.....you get two extra rolls thrown in and there is probably ten metres on a roll.

BUT

They are microwave and boil proof and fridge and freezer proof plus they are washable and reusable....snag is they get a little bit smaller each time but I have been using them for over a year and still have not run out.

They will seal any plastic bag but they will not draw out the air. As I say I would not be without it. I pack all my sausages it them.

I bought mine from BestDirect the TV online shop. I got the deluxe @ �144 this has a box of bags, four rolls, vacuum containers and bottle stoppers

http://www.bestdirect.tv/product-FoodSaver-550-BDA06425.htm

Sorry I don't know anything about the REBER but if it's cheaper all round then the choice is yours.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:14 pm

One other thing I was wondering ........

would you be able to use the Reber bags in other machines like the Talia Foodsaver ? .........it would be handy to have a small bag to try this. The max width I can take in my vacuum packer is 295mm or almost 12 inches. these bags have a complex system of air chanels on the back that allow the vavuum to extract the air whilst the bag mouth is compressed in the rubber jaws.......this is why ordinary plain plastic bags don't work.

I assume the Reber bags are the same style.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:51 pm

Thanks for your replys, chaps :D
Wohoki
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies