FIRST TIME MANUAL STUFFER ADVICE PLEASE

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

FIRST TIME MANUAL STUFFER ADVICE PLEASE

Postby hmmm sausages » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:38 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have just been the proud recipient of a new Vertical stuffer off this site. I am making a small batch to test it, any one got any hints and tips on using a manual stuffer? I am making some pork sausages using sheeps casings

look forward to hearing your advice (sooner the better as I start mincing soon hehehe)

Cheers, Rob
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby roseway » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:37 pm

Clamp it to the worktop before you start, and if you have wall cupboards over the worktop make sure that you put it in a position where the cupboards don't get in the way of the handle (or your knuckles!).
You'll need the smallest stuffing tube for sheep casings. It's easiest if you put the sausagemeat in the cylinder before assembling the machine and attaching the tube. Wet the tube before loading the casings.
Than just wind the handle and you're away.

Eric
roseway
Registered Member

Postby stu » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:39 pm

Hi Rob

I will be interested in how the stuffer performs with the sheeps casings. I am looking for a stuffer that will handle sheeps and hogs casings as my Kenwood stuffing tube is too big for sheeps, 23mm at the narrow end. What diameter tubes come with the vertical stuffer?

Cheers, Stu (beginners intro to be posted soon)
stu
Registered Member

Postby hmmm sausages » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:28 pm

Hi Stu,

Not used it yet but the smallest tube is 18mm at the narrow end, hoping its ok for sheeps casings. will find out in about 30 minutes when i start stuffing

CHeers for the hints roseway, clamping could be a fooker tonight as I am rushing to use the new stuffer lol but I am sure i will get something sorted out for next time

will update again soon when i have used it
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby mosler » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:59 pm

I would advise to take care when loading the cylinder with the mix. Do you best to avoid pockets of air inside. You're shooting for a solid mass of meat in there rather than clumps of it with room between.
mosler
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:11 pm

I found it was best to hand load the meat and punch it down with your fist, I cut a small disc out of a bisto plastic lid to go over the end of the meat container and the normal tube nut clamps it in position so you do not get any leakage when stuffing the container.....just release it slightly and the air squeezes out.

The as I was advised just wobble the tube up and down as you are winding in to meet the meat and this gets rid of the air between the piston and the meat.

This of course applies to the Reber horizontal and not your new vertical stuffer which has it's own air release valve.

Last edited by Rik vonTrense on Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby hmmm sausages » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:55 pm

WELL.......

...I am not sure I ever want to see another Sheeps Casing again!!! I dont know if it was the casing, the filler tube, or me, BUT it sure wasnt going to let me put any more than 8mm of casing onto the tube!!

I resorted to collagen casings (small ones) and they just about fitted on to the filler nozzle, but only enough for 6 mediumish length sausages, 6 goes later and I have finished my first batch of Manual Stuffer sausages!

Having nothing to compare it too apart from my electric mincer with filler attachment (which I broke while making tonights sausages) The Stuffer was very good, nice steady filling, easy to use, well happy for the 70 quid I paid. I cant wait to try it out on a proper batch of Hog Cased sausages!!

Hope that is helpful to anyone watching, but take my experiences with a warning, I AM A DEFINATE AMATUER!! lol
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:47 am

Hmmmmm..

I have never used sheeps casings and I cannot see the necessity to use them anyway.

I find that ordinary hog casings are difficult enough to handle and I have experienced problems with them coming off the tube even though I keep them wet.

Yet when they are going as I want them to I find that the fill is just right for me to pinch and link where I have to watch the collagen cases by no overfilling them.

Which brings me onto the collagen cases. I have two sizes the large ones fit very easily over the smallest Reber tube but have to be held on and fed off of the tube.....but there again they do not need any pushing on like hog casings. But I have found the secret of using these as I now keep them in a jar of olive oil .

The smaller collagens fit on the smallest Reber tube by pushing them on the same as hog casings. The same with the larger collagens they will fit on the next sized Reber tube, these do not need feeding quite so much as the feeding sausage pulls enough off of the tube.

Now with the oiled casings they are nice to handle as they are slippery just like hog casing...BUT....for boiled sausages they are a bit tender when cooked as the strings tend to cut through the boiled sausage if you are not careful... this is particularly noticeable with large ring sausages. but for normal 8 to the pound bangers they are okay....I do not do big links as this is not necessary all mine a frozen on 8 or 10 packs. Where hog casing go more rubbery and hold their strings.

I made some Polish KIELBASA following Len's recipe exactly and I have now perfected the boiling of these at the precise temperature and holding it .....dead easy on a gas ring with a thermometer in the water. They turned out very solid and after they were boiled they didn't need skins on anyway as they kept their shape and size......but the large rings were tender to hadle when cooked and hot.

But what a meaty sausage as there is no rusk or cereal additives just all meat and spices they are a very good meaty chew and great tasting too not in the least overpowering of any particular flavour and would be great with the addition of some fresh chopped chillis...but there again that is changing the sausage characteristics.

As they are a bit formidible in their size I can only assume they are meant to be chopped up in some dish after they have been refried or grilled.

Anyway I have ordered a new vertical stuffer from Franco so those Kilbasa will be the last bangers I do on my Reber as it is shortly off to a new home.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby hmmm sausages » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:36 pm

To be honest Rik, I dont see the point in sheeps casings either! I like my sausages to be chunky (like me) and have a decent amount of eating in them!! I dont think I ever buy thin sausages through choice, well, I mean I never bought them, as I dont buy any sausages now.

Anyone got any advice on sheeps casings as my family want some thin breakfast sausages
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby aris » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:45 pm

Sheep casings are fantastic. For one, they cook quicker, so if you're having a BBQ with lots of guests, you can safely cook loads quickly.

For your spicy/hot sausage, you can make them quite hot, and when put into a baguette, and loads of veg and hummus - it doesn't blow your head off as if you had a fat sausage in there.

Lastly, they are great for making dried sausage. Dries quickly, and very easy to eat as a snack.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:53 pm

hmmm sausages

I use both hogs and sheeps casings, but have never used collagen. They both have their merits depending what results you want. For instance, when making cocktails sausages the sheeps are ideal, and also for chipolata type sausages as well. I had a guy say he didn't like the chunky hogs casing result and his family had always bought thin sausages, so I made his with the sheeps casings and he said they were brilliant. I find they make an ideal sausage to fit a hot-dog roll, whereas the hogs tend to be a little large.
I find them no different to use than hogs other than they are a smaller diameter and so is the filler nozzle. Give them a try, you may find they are to your liking.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby hmmm sausages » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:05 pm

i did try them paul, last night, but i didnt get the little buggers on to the filler tube!! whats the diameter of your thinnest filler tube?

Aris, i know there is lots of good things about sheeps casings, but i just couldnt get them to work last night. and generally i prefer fat sausages.

If i could get them to work, I would use them, as like i said before, the family is after some thin sausages!
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:42 pm

It's 15 mm at the opening, it's the smallest that came with the 5KG Reber stuffer.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:54 pm

I have read that the sheeps casings are delicate and difficult to work with over this board, but using the 3kg reber stuffer with the smallest tube, found them no problem, and ended up with a good load of spicy chipolatas, have reordered some more casings for this years load for the BBQ
Wilf
Registered Member

Postby hmmm sausages » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:38 pm

it appears that size really does matter, and as mine is bigger than yours (18mm) the sheeps dont fit too well :(
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Next

Return to Equipment & Supplies