Reber Mincer Problem - Please Help!

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Reber Mincer Problem - Please Help!

Postby Rotund » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:30 pm

I have a problem with my Reber 9500 mincer.

I assembled the mincer for a large batch yesterday, but when the mincer was turned on, it made a really strange noise and the meat screw was not turning. I turned the mincer off immediately, but to my horror, I found I could not dismantle the huge metal tube containing the blade, plate etc, as I can't get the screw on cover off the end!

I have no idea what has happened. I have not screwed the end on too tight, it seems to be something to do with unusual noise and the meat screw not turning, this has somehow tightened the cover. (The motor is not broken, it runs fine when the cutting group is not attached)

Please please can someone suggest how to remedy this as my mincer is currently useless.
Rotund
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:21 pm

Can you get hold of an oil filter strap wrench to undo the screw on cover? Unless you can undo that then there is no way forward.
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:46 pm

Have you tried laying it on it's side and 'persuading' the ring nut off using a piece of wood and a hammer, by resting the wood on the raised parts around the edge and striking, gently at first? Don't use the hammer directly onto the metal. That should get it moving, but if not, run hot water over the nut for 30 seconds, and then cold water on the main catter group body, and try again. Let us know how you get on.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Re: Reber Mincer Problem - Please Help!

Postby pokerpete » Mon May 08, 2006 3:29 pm

Rotund wrote:I have a problem with my Reber 9500 mincer.

I assembled the mincer for a large batch yesterday, but when the mincer was turned on, it made a really strange noise and the meat screw was not turning. I turned the mincer off immediately, but to my horror, I found I could not dismantle the huge metal tube containing the blade, plate etc, as I can't get the screw on cover off the end!

I have no idea what has happened. I have not screwed the end on too tight, it seems to be something to do with unusual noise and the meat screw not turning, this has somehow tightened the cover. (The motor is not broken, it runs fine when the cutting group is not attached)

Please please can someone suggest how to remedy this as my mincer is currently useless.

What were you trying to mince? If the meat was frozen or had ice in it then the pressure in the barrel re-freezes it, thus stopping the drive. The torque on the motor is not enough to overcome this, therefore it makes a 'strange' noise. This can also happen if you are mincing fat. So try feeding the barrel more slowly. On the very large mincers with large motors the barrel can explode in the same circumstances.
Best to soak the barrel in boiling water, refit to the body, and as mentioned by other posters use an oil filter remover, or use the wood and hammer solution.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon May 08, 2006 5:30 pm

I believe that maybe people are washing the equipment after use in hot water, which is all well and good to inhibit bacteria growth, BUT do not reassemble the cutter head whilst hot.. as when the cutter group return to room temperature it will probably lock solid.. better to rinse it in cold water before reassembly. This is what I normally do and have had no problems with the cutter group whatsoever.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Mon May 08, 2006 5:59 pm

Paul Kribs wrote:I believe that maybe people are washing the equipment after use in hot water, which is all well and good to inhibit bacteria growth, BUT do not reassemble the cutter head whilst hot.. as when the cutter group return to room temperature it will probably lock solid.. better to rinse it in cold water before reassembly. This is what I normally do and have had no problems with the cutter group whatsoever.

Regards, Paul Kribs

Nothing wrong with scalding and scrubbing the barrel, worm, plate, and cutter so long as it allowed to dry. Then lightly oil the components with food grade oil and not the stuff that polymerises. Reassemble the head, and just before you are going to start mincing again run a bit of fat through it. Discard the fatty mince then continue as usual. A word of warning here. If you have to overtighten the head, then your knife and plate are worn, so replace them.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon May 08, 2006 6:19 pm

pokerpete

I could be wrong here but the reason I advise rinsing in cold water is to bring the temperature back down nearer to room temperature prior to reassembly because different parts of the cutter group are different thicknesses and would contract at different rates, hence the tightening of the headscrew. I agree, however, with your recommendation for lubrication.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Mon May 08, 2006 11:18 pm

Paul Kribs wrote:pokerpete

I could be wrong here but the reason I advise rinsing in cold water is to bring the temperature back down nearer to room temperature prior to reassembly because different parts of the cutter group are different thicknesses and would contract at different rates, hence the tightening of the headscrew. I agree, however, with your recommendation for lubrication.

Regards, Paul Kribs

There is no need to be so pedantic in a practical way as regards to mincing meat. All combinations can be left in place until the end of the day irrespective of the type of meat, and then the mincer can be attended to. The mixer/bowl cutter phase is the next to be attended to, but this requires less attention mechanically. The filling process requires that it is also kept in a scrupulous condition after use, but doesn't need as much mechanical attention as a mincer does.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Tue May 09, 2006 12:02 am

pokerpete are you saying that you would leave your mincer mid summer for 8-10 hours with particles of meat doubling the bacterial load every 20 minutes before cleaning...:shock:

I'm sure health and safety would be delighted.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Tue May 09, 2006 12:28 am

Oddley wrote:pokerpete are you saying that you would leave your mincer mid summer for 8-10 hours with particles of meat doubling the bacterial load every 20 minutes before cleaning...:shock:

I'm sure health and safety would be delighted.

I never indicated that did I. Common sense would be to remove the barrel intact and place it in the fridge until required again during the day. Other than that all previous advice applies.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Tue May 09, 2006 12:41 am

pokerpete wrote:There is no need to be so pedantic in a practical way as regards to mincing meat. All combinations can be left in place until the end of the day irrespective of the type of meat, and then the mincer can be attended to.

Unfortunately from your original post. Yes you did! Common sense being based on experience. If a novice were to misinterpret your post without objection, they could be placed in some danger of food poisoning.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby dougal » Tue May 09, 2006 9:04 am

saucisson wrote:Can you get hold of an oil filter strap wrench to undo the screw on cover? Unless you can undo that then there is no way forward.

There is a useful, cheap tool called a "Boa" (like the snake). Its just a plastic handle and a rubber strap. They are sold (very cheaply nowadays - pound shops!) for removing jamjar lids and the like. I've found it extremely useful for the untightening of all manner of things that were hard to get a hold of.
Very useful for the kitchen drawer, and the toolkit!

Heating metallic screwed parts can reduce the force required to dismantle them. But do be careful to keep the electric parts dry. A hairdryer can be useful here.
dougal
Registered Member

Postby dougal » Tue May 09, 2006 9:08 am

pokerpete wrote:... If the meat was frozen or had ice in it then the pressure in the barrel re-freezes it, thus stopping the drive. ...

Errrr, no. Not the *pressure*.
Potentially if the metal barrel were at freezer temperature, that might cause the meat to freeze and lock the mechanism.
But not *pressure*. That causes melting, not freezing.
dougal
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Tue May 09, 2006 1:57 pm

dougal wrote:
pokerpete wrote:... If the meat was frozen or had ice in it then the pressure in the barrel re-freezes it, thus stopping the drive. ...

Errrr, no. Not the *pressure*.
Potentially if the metal barrel were at freezer temperature, that might cause the meat to freeze and lock the mechanism.
But not *pressure*. That causes melting, not freezing.

I am aware that pressure melts ice, in fact that's how ice skate blades work. Then the water re-freezes, so I am saying that the same thing happens in a mincer barrel. Even with a 15 and 20HP geared drive the barrell just smashes, and these barrels are of a paralell construction.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Mon May 22, 2006 11:28 am

Rotund,

My Reber made similar noises when I tried to mince some back fat with the skin still on. Since removing the skint he noise problem was eliminated.

I'm not sure about lubrication internally as there is a valve on the side from which oil can be added according to the manual.

Rgds,
FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Next

Return to Equipment & Supplies