Help with grinder stuffer

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Help with grinder stuffer

Postby Lance Yeoh » Thu May 11, 2006 3:15 am

I recently acquired a Kenwood grinder that comes with a stuffer attachment. Used it for the 1st time yesterday and had priblems with the stuffing attachment. I'm making poultry sausages and the problem is when the mixture comes out from the stuffing horn, it has the consistency of toothpaste and is really fine. I used a course mincer plate and when I stuffed it with my normal stuffer it's fine. I suspect that when the meat goes through the worm, it gets 'minced' yet again. Any suggestions?
Lance Yeoh
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Thu May 11, 2006 4:30 am

What plate are you using when using it as a stuffer ??

Ther is a special stuffing plate that is just a holed plate with two large holes and a centre hole for guiding the worm. This is usually made of white plastic.

If you are still using a mincing plate then you are mincing it again.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby Lance Yeoh » Thu May 11, 2006 6:01 am

I was not using the mincer plate for sure. Just the white plastic plate before the stuffing horn.
Lance Yeoh
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Thu May 11, 2006 9:02 am

Chicken can be very soft, and I have found that it comes out a bit like pate: try stuffing with the mix almost frozen.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Re: Help with grinder stuffer

Postby dougal » Thu May 11, 2006 10:27 am

Lance Yeoh wrote:I recently acquired a Kenwood grinder that comes with a stuffer attachment. Used it for the 1st time yesterday ...

Because you say it was the *first* time you used it...

... did you put the "propellor" on the right way round when you were mincing it?

It needs the 'flat' side up against the plate.

The other way round 'smears' the meat, normally causing obvious jams - but with soft chicken it might not...
dougal
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu May 11, 2006 3:05 pm

That's odd, unless I misunderstand you. My "propellor" is completely symmetrical with blades on both sides so goes on either way around. I dont have a white plastic plate so mince twice, once for the meat, mix in other ingredients and a second time into the skins.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Wohoki » Thu May 11, 2006 3:12 pm

I once loaded up my mincer and forgot to put the blade in :oops: Nearly split myself cranking the handle.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Thu May 11, 2006 3:29 pm

Hi Lance,

Had exactly the same problems here stuffing sheeps casings with the Kenwood mincer/stuffer, it appears in my case that the back pressure caused by stuffing into the smallest stuffing tube caused the meat mixture to shear between the worm screw and the casing, destroying its texture, it also caused smearing of fat and emulsification of the mixture. It mattered not if I was using chicken, lamb or beef or even if the mixture was chilled or not or if the mixture was soft or not, I could not get it to work properly. I am now using one of Franco's 'value for money' Vertical Stuffers and have no problems. I was planning to go back and try the Kenwood with larger casings, but because the vertical stuffer is so easy to use, keep clean and has reduced my wastage. I haven't as yet bothered.

Regards,
Richard
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Postby dougal » Thu May 11, 2006 7:32 pm

saucisson wrote:That's odd, unless I misunderstand you. My "propellor" is completely symmetrical with blades on both sides so goes on either way around. ...

Having googled for images (kenwood cutter) I've concluded that they've changed the design since my antique was made! I can give you one excellent reason for designing it to work either way round... :lol:
dougal
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu May 11, 2006 7:40 pm

Good news, I was worrying I was dementing :)
saucisson
Site Admin

Return to Equipment & Supplies