ISO: Ingredients Help

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

ISO: Ingredients Help

Postby deb » Thu May 25, 2006 7:26 pm

I was having a look at Len poli's site for Pepperoni and found a cooked rather than dried version. As I don't really have the facilities for drying sausages etc I thought I might give the cooked version a go. There are a couple of ingredients I'm unfamiliar with can anyone point me in the right direction?

1) Soy protein

2) Corn syrup solids (as we don't have corn syrup here in the U.K. I've a feeling this isn't easily available, if not what could be used as an alternative?).

Thanks.
Skinny Cooks Can't Be Trusted
deb
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu May 25, 2006 8:06 pm

deb

I wonder if the soya protein is the same as the isolated soya protein found in the Supaphos phosphate (along with wheatflour), Don't know anything about corn syrup solids.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby TJ Buffalo » Thu May 25, 2006 11:30 pm

I found this out while searching the web: Dried corn syrup (derived from corn starch) is referred to as corn syrup solids. It has a relatively low level of sweetness (dextrose equivalent of 24) and bland flavor making it useful in blended mixes. Corn syrup solids are added as a flavor enhancer, stabilizer (to reduce product separation during shipping, storage, etc.), and thickener. I know that The Sausagemaker website carries them ([url]http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=50[url]
Franco or others may know where to buy them in the UK.[/url]
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Postby Wohoki » Fri May 26, 2006 6:17 am

The soy protein is called lecethin, and is an emulsifier. It's used in thousands of commercially produced foods to prevent sauces from splitting and keeping you McShake as thick as bad porrige. :mrgreen:
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Lee » Fri May 26, 2006 11:08 am

Not sure without seeing the recipe, but lecthithin (sp??) is not a protein, it's a phospholipid, but that might just be a little over scientific for a sausage recipe :D
If I saw soy protein, I'd think of that TVP muck :?
Used as a filler maybe :?: Dunno :?:
Lee
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Fri May 26, 2006 11:40 am

I mis-remembered, sorry- you're quite right. (It's lecithin, btw: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lecithin )
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Lee » Fri May 26, 2006 12:51 pm

Worked with the gooey stuff for 5 years, you'd think I'd remember how to spell it really wouldn't you :lol:
You're right though, it's an excellent, and natural (ish) emulsifier and strong antioxident.
Lee
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Fri May 26, 2006 1:30 pm

I have to admit that I use mustard powder to stabilise emulssions: used in low enough concentrations it's as good as the above, and the taste isn't too strong (wouldn't use it in milkshakes, tho', apart from my famous pork-pie shake :D )
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Lee » Fri May 26, 2006 1:58 pm

Pork Pie shake :shock: :shock:
C'mon then, lets have it :D
Lee
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Fri May 26, 2006 3:03 pm

Well der....One large slice of pork pie per person (Melton Mowbery, of course), half a banana per person, a desert spoon of Branston, a tea spoon of mustard, a handful of ice, top up with milk and then blend. Serve in a tall glass with a straw and a pearl onion on a stick to stir. It should be thick enough to stand a re-bar up in it. Mmmmmm.

Variation: replace the Branston with Picallily for a particularly attractive shade (on the face of the person you serve it to.) Or make it with Coronation pie for that hint of egg.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Fri May 26, 2006 3:24 pm

Also, it works well with black pudding: save a nice fatty slice to wedge on the side of the glass, and omit the pickle. Double the banana to maintain the texture.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri May 26, 2006 3:36 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby DarrinG » Fri May 26, 2006 7:04 pm

If you go to morton.com they have a cooked salami recipe there too. Its really good and you don't need any special ingredients other then tenderquick

Darrin
DarrinG
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies