Lidl Equipment

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Lidl Equipment

Postby georgebaker » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:44 pm

Hi
from the 13th Tursday next week Lidl have

* Electric Mincer 550W with sausage stuffer
* Electric Food slicer

�29.99 each

George
georgebaker
Registered Member

Postby dougal » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:32 pm

I've been pleased with the quality of most of Lidl's offerings. Its worth noting that both these items have a 3 year warranty.
I'd like a meat slicer that didn't take up too much room.

But I'm a little surprised that the forthcoming slicer has a serrated blade and an adjustable blade rotation speed. The slice thickness can be wound all the way out to 20mm.
Does that sound as though it might be optimised for slicing softer items like bread, rather than meat?
http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages ... Slicer.ar1

Has anyone already got one of these? Or got any observations on its design?
dougal
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:55 pm

It looks much classier than this from Argos for the same money:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 220824.htm

The flat bed and loaf of bread make me think the Argos one is better suited to bread and thick slices that can stand up by themselves. The tilted bed makes me think the Lidl will be much better for thinly sliced meat.

I have a 1970's hand cranked serrated blade machine and although the blade works fine on my dried meat and bacon, it suffers from being a flat bed.
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby hmmm sausages » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:29 pm

You taking the pi55 out of my slicer dave? :x lol

I quite like the look of the lidl one, its got a sloped slicing surface which is popular on the better makes of slicer, the argos one is very compact, dismantles for easy storage, which also means it suffers with "smoothness" when slicing, its one slice, realign, one slice etc, which is frustrating. But i got mine half price so thought it was worth a go. The blade is also serated on my slicer.
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:08 pm

:) I wasn't knocking the Argos one :) I nearly bought the Argos one myself when they were cheap at Christmas, because although my manual one is good at cutting, it has no safety guard or sliding table at all, it's all down to me keeping my left thumb out of slicing range as I push the meat through by hand.

Now the Argos one is back at �29.99 the Lidl for the same price looks more interesting. Unfortunately my nearest Lidl is Reading, and I wouldn't like to get one without seeing it first.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby hmmm sausages » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:21 pm

I have no clue at all where my nearest lidl is, just gonna have to keep going with my argos one til its broken, then I will get a proper decent one :)

One problem with buying online is you never quite know what you are getting :(
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:52 pm

This is probably redundant, and I'm not critcising anyone else's kitchens, but if you want to cut something why not buy a knife? Easy to store, easy to resharpen and it doesn't take long to learn how to use one. Bread knives last a life-time without any attention at all, and a quick lick with a steel or a stone works wonders with a ham knife, a carver or a good chef's knife.

Seriously, why waste money: just buy a good knife or two.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:21 pm

Joking: Is this the same Wohoki who said, and I quote:
"and I still have 9 and a half fingers. "
Sorry to bring up any painful memories Wohoki. :)

And in all seriousness: Personally I'm happy with a knife most of the time and I'd never put bread through a slicer, but I don't have the manual skills to slice really thinly for parma ham thicknesses or even bacon as wafer thin as my wife prefers it. I'd love to slice that thin by hand, is this something I should practise and could aspire to? I've got that knife you posted a link to from Tchibo and it's fantastic for fine slicing small pieces but anything of a reasonable size I end up with variable widths.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby hmmm sausages » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:24 pm

<repeats what Dave said apart from the bit about missing fingers, tchibo knives and a wife>
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:34 pm

Hey, I'm one quarter lizard: it just grew back :D

(Seriously, imagine the damage I could do to myself with a bacon-slicer. Maybe I should change my name to "wohoki9.75" ?)
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:47 pm

Wohoki, do I recall correctly that you use to/ still make knives? If so I'd love to see some examples of your work, but probably best posted in chatter.
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Wohoki » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:48 pm

I've got one nearly ready, and for sale, I'll put a piccy in chat. (If it's not against the rules, I was going to put it on eBay.)
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:58 pm

Sounds good, we could have a favourite/oldest knife thread...

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby jenny_haddow » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:54 am

I have an electric mincer/sausage stuffer from Lidl, bought about 4 years ago for �29.99. It's excellent, although I have gone over to a vertical stuffer now. Filling casings with it worked fine, but it is a juggling act. Mine came with two mincing plates, sausage filler, and a kubbe attachment which I found out how to use from the forum. Don't use a dishwasher to clean the metal parts, they go black and it takes forever to clean off.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:47 am

Oh, and yes, you can easily learn to slice as fine as you want. You just need to learn how to get a shaving edge on your knife first, and then avoid cutting off too many fingers. :D
Wohoki
Registered Member

Next

Return to Equipment & Supplies