Lidl Equipment

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Postby pokerpete » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:21 pm

jenny_haddow wrote:I have an electric mincer/sausage stuffer from Lidl, bought about 4 years ago for �29.99. It's excellent, although I have gone over to a vertical stuffer now. Filling casings with it worked fine, but it is a juggling act. Mine came with two mincing plates, sausage filler, and a kubbe attachment which I found out how to use from the forum. Don't use a dishwasher to clean the metal parts, they go black and it takes forever to clean off.

Jen

I've seen a picture of the Lidl slicer and it looks OK for small work. But I must make a comment. It has a serrated blade which hopefully would be more efficient than a hollow ground in this case as it doesn't have a sharpening attachment. The second point is don't cut bread on it, that dulls the edge very quickly. Let's face it, if you can't cut bread with a bread knife by now, it's time to give up.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby Shirl » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:34 pm

Hi everyone. I've just joined as im about to get into this sausagemaking. It seems the next logical step as im making most of our meals from scratch.

I'm looking at the Lidl mincer that will be available on Thursday. However are people sure that it is a sausage maker as well as it doesnt actually say so on the website, only that it is cheaper than the AWT mincer/sausage maker?

I have the kenwood chef mincer already but wondered whether this was a better quality product? If so i'll ebay my kenwood and use the Lidl one.

Thanks guys
Shirl
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:47 pm

It says in the add that's it's ideal for sausages and meatballs, but doesn't state it comes with the stuffing attachments. :?

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby pokerpete » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:00 pm

Shirl wrote:Hi everyone. I've just joined as im about to get into this sausagemaking. It seems the next logical step as im making most of our meals from scratch.

I'm looking at the Lidl mincer that will be available on Thursday. However are people sure that it is a sausage maker as well as it doesnt actually say so on the website, only that it is cheaper than the AWT mincer/sausage maker?

I have the kenwood chef mincer already but wondered whether this was a better quality product? If so i'll ebay my kenwood and use the Lidl one.

Thanks guys

If your Kenwood chef has a variable speed mixing bowl, liquidiser, and mincer head, I think I would stay with it.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:23 pm

Hi Shirl,

Cant you get a sausage stuffing attachment to go with the Kenwood you already have?

However, I have posted pictures in the beginners section under novice sausage maker showing sausages made with the Lidl machine, it should have all the bits and pieces to do the job.

I use a Kenwood slicer which does a good job on the bacon I cure. It has a serrated blade and I only use it for meat. The Lidl one looks similar.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Shirl » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:24 pm

saucisson wrote:It says in the add that's it's ideal for sausages and meatballs, but doesn't state it comes with the stuffing attachments. :?

Dave

Yup thats what I thought too. I dont want to be queuing in the rain (its always raining!) to get one if its not got everything I need.

Pete

Yeah i've got a few Kenwoods and I have the mincer attachment but found it got pretty hot on my trial run.

I just thought the Lidl one may be better, and of course, you dont have much time to think about it or hear reviews, you have to grab one before they run out!
Shirl
Registered Member

Postby Shirl » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:27 pm

Hi Jenny

Sorry I posted at the same time as you. I shall nip and have a look at the pictures. Thats just what I could do with, some good instructions. I have the mincer/sausage stuffer for the kenwood. I've only done sausages once but I was frightened of poisoning people with the warm meat!
Shirl
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:43 pm

Shirl,

I've just had a look on the Lidl website and this is the identical machine to mine. It doesn't mention any of the attachments, but mine also came with a variety of grating and slicing cylinders as well as the sausage stuffer. Why not contact then via their website and ask for more details.

Mine will happily grind up 3 or 4 kilos of meat without over heating. and is easy to break down for cleaning. I have a few Lidl appliances and only had one break down. It was replaced by return of post with a new one. I didn't need to send back the faulty item, just my receipt and the appliance manual. I was impressed.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Shirl » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:50 pm

Jenny i've just been reading your novice thread, wow you learned the trade quickly! I'm going to follow your lead with the bacon soon.

I thought I was clever making my own pasta, butter etc... i've a long way to go! :)

I think i'm going to get the Lidl machine. I'll open the box in the shop and make sure it has all I need. I did a search and back in December when the mincers were last available, someone said to check wether the innards are plastic or metal so i'll check that out as well.

The trouble I find with the kenwood is that even the machine felt hot, not only the attachment. I have a new model though and these dont seem to be a patch on the old sturdy ones. I was left with a bowl of warm minced meat. In fact it had changed colour in some places where I think it had started cooking!
Shirl
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:14 pm

Shirl,

I think a mincer that produces warm meat has to be faulty somewhere. Too dodgy by half. If you consider that each cut surface of meat can produce millions of bacteria and then how many cut surfaces there are in a bowl of mince! It doesn't take a lot of imagination to see the problem. Sausage making is a 'cold as possible' activity.

Thankyou for your kind comments. I have to put my hand up and say I learned all of it from this forum. I've always fancied doing sausages, but never thought of bacon or cheese. Now I do all three, and have cut large sections of the supermarket out of the weekly shop.

I'm thinking of dipping my toes into the salami/ham section next, but will wait for the weather to cool off later in the year.

Enjoy the forum, it's full of very knowledgeable and interesting people.

Cheers

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby georgebaker » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:00 pm

Hi
my Kenwood gets HOT but only the motor casing. The mincer/ stuffer stays cold, this may be because I put stuff in the freezer every time I have to stop to consult the instructions or weigh things.

The Lidl leaflet has a picture of the device and a detail picture that certainly seems to show Stuffer tubes and Kebbie maker. Its 550Watts and my Kenwood is 1/3 HP which I guess is 250W so half as powerful?

George
georgebaker
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:00 pm

We have been using the lidl slicer for a year now, looks the same or very similar with serrated blade, will cut right down to thin slices, the only thing it is no good for but I think it is the same for most domestic slices, it will not do bacon, I usually handcut bacon but havent tried partially freezing before slicing as this may help. Very easy to dismantle and clean even removing the blade.
Wilf
Registered Member

Postby hmmm sausages » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:40 pm

My Argos slicer does an ok job on bacon, when its partially frozen and when you keep the blade wiped clean to prevent smearing and sticking

not cut anything else with it apart from bacon to compare it to
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:18 pm

I have a Kenwood slicer from Lakeland �29.00ish. It has no problem slicing rind on bacon, but I have to roll it up to get a full slice in one pass.
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby dougal » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:42 pm

The Lidl slicer seems ace...
The only thing its faced so far is some leftover roast beef. Which it happily sliced fairly thinly ("1.5mm") and evenly.
I was impressed.
Now, to get some bacon on the go...

It cleans up pretty easily, there's only a couple of corners that need special attention. The blade removes very simply. Its pretty stiff.

The potential length of traverse would seem to be adequately long to cut bacon without rolling it up...
I expect bacon will have to be chilled, and possibly skinned, but hey, for a �30 slicer, its brill. :D

Although supplied with a serrated blade, the instructions say that a plain blade "for extremely fine slicing" is available as an extra from the service dept.
dougal
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment & Supplies