Which Mincer/Sausage machine

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Which Mincer/Sausage machine

Postby Gourmetgame » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:10 pm

I'm currently looking for a cheap but reliable electric mincer/sausage stuffer for domestic & very small scale commercial use but don't have a clue which one to go for. It seems i can get hold of one for around �50 on ebay but don't know if it will last or if it will be any good. I don't really want to spend �200 on a commercial model but if the cheaper ones are no good then so be it. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who's bought a cheaper model, where i can get one & what you think of it & also if you think it's worth paying more for a better model.

Any recommended makes & opinions would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Gourmetgame
Newly Registered

Postby Big Guy » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:28 pm

A grinder is not the place to try and save a few pennies. Get the biggest and best you can afford. Stay away from the small cheap machines or the add on's to home mixers. They simply won't do the job! I personally wouldn't buy anything with less than 1/2 hp for the motor unit. 3/4 to 1 hp. prefered. Just my $0.02 worth.

And if you are serious about making sausage get a propper stuffer. Not just a horn attached to the grinder spout. They make a big difference.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby hoggie » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:39 pm

hi, i agree with everything big guy says, but if money is tight get the one argos sells. i've had one for about a year now, and no problems. best of luck. john.
hoggie
Registered Member

Postby scotty » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:52 pm

Big Guy wrote:A grinder is not the place to try and save a few pennies. Get the biggest and best you can afford. Stay away from the small cheap machines or the add on's to home mixers. They simply won't do the job! I personally wouldn't buy anything with less than 1/2 hp for the motor unit. 3/4 to 1 hp. prefered. Just my $0.02 worth.

And if you are serious about making sausage get a propper stuffer. Not just a horn attached to the grinder spout. They make a big difference.

i went through 3 or 4 smaller machines before i bought the 1 hp model. the smaller ones always seemed to jam wit grizzle even if i trimmed ans cut he meat into smaller chunks.
The best comedy is to see the politicians in the USA blaming one another for all the stealing they have been doing for so many years.
Maybe this is Obamas strategy to get the truth out in the open.
scotty
Registered Member

Postby georgebaker » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:52 pm

Hi
I have a Kenwood 900 series with a 950 mincer.

This does me fine for about 6 pounds of sausage and you can get one for �50. I would not want to use it for much more grinding and stuffing. It is rated from memory at 250W about 1/3HP.

If you want a small scale commercial machine I think you should get a more powerful system

Lidl had a dedicated grinder/stuffer of about 3/4 HP for �30 or so last month and I contemplated it but since I had a machine that will just do what I need I did not bother.

George
georgebaker
Registered Member

Postby Gill » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:44 pm

I've got an old Moulinex electric mincer which just about manages 5 kilos at a time. I believe the current model retails in the �50 - �60 area. If I ever move into serious sausage production, I'll certainly bin it in favour of a more powerful beastie.

One thing I would suggest is that when you buy your mincer/grinder, check the blades and plates for flatness. It was only after grinding mine down flat with a stone that I got it to mince without clogging.

Gill
Gill
Registered Member

Postby Gourmetgame » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:01 pm

Thanks to all for the advice, though i'm still a little unsure what to do. It seems peole have mixed opinions about the smaller models. I suppose i could always take it back if i have problems with it. I'll sleep on it & keep you posted.

Thanks again :?
Gourmetgame
Newly Registered

Re: Which Mincer/Sausage machine

Postby dougal » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:41 pm

Gourmetgame wrote:I'm currently looking for a cheap but reliable electric mincer/sausage stuffer for domestic & very small scale commercial use but don't have a clue which one to go for. ...
I don't really want to spend �200 on a commercial model but if the cheaper ones are no good then so be it. ...

What have you got now?

A larger, more powerful mincer should "make mincemeat" out of tougher stuff - but is that what you want or need? "Game"? Maybe...

There seems to be general (if not universal) agreement here that piston stuffers are easier, and 'better' than screw-feed stuffers.
I gather that one specific example of 'betterness' is in salami stuffing - where one wants to maintain the texture and not 'smear' the fat pieces. Although probably for really high volume commercial 'ordinary' sausage work, doubtless a screw-feed would be chosen.
Sausagemaking have an *all* stainless 5lb *manual* piston stuffer for �70. Wind the handle and out come the sausages - almost effortlessly if lubricated. Do you need anything bigger, better, more easily refilled or cleaned than that? I doubt you'd be wanting to actually stuff sausages faster than might be achieved with that thing. (Although there are others that can take a larger batch size, and/or can be refilled faster.)
I quite fancy the 5 pounder myself ...

However for *mincing*, I've not noticed any discussion of the relative merits of using a Kenwood with a mincer attachment versus a small dedicated mincer. A Kenwood can have many other uses... even mixing sausagemeat! Just note that there is quite a difference in motor power, and ruggedness, between different Chef models, and of course the Majors give you more mixing bowl capacity (but take exactly the same mincer attachments as modern Chefs).

My suspicion is that having a dedicated manual piston stuffer, and an electric mincer of some sort (any sort?), would be better for your indicated use than *any* small electric *mincer/stuffer*.
dougal
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies