Butcher Suppliers in Vancouver, BC?

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Butcher Suppliers in Vancouver, BC?

Postby crouchngBtchrHiddnSausage » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:34 am

Hello, new guy here. Was wondering if there are any good butcher suppliers in Vancouver, Canada. I wanted to try my hand at some bacon, but would like to pick up a few things locally. Any ideas?
crouchngBtchrHiddnSausage
Registered Member

Postby David. » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:37 pm

crouchngBtchrHiddnSausage,

Wecome to the forum. If you can get to Langly visit www.stuffers.com they have everything you need for sausage making and bacon / ham curing. Well worth the short trip.

David.
David.
Registered Member

Postby crouchngBtchrHiddnSausage » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:43 pm

Cheers. I'll give em a try. I was specifically looking for pink salt but they didnt't seem to have it on their web site. Perhaps a phone call is in order.
Registered Member

Postby wittdog » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:22 pm

crouchngBtchrHiddnSausage wrote:Cheers. I'll give em a try. I was specifically looking for pink salt but they didnt't seem to have it on their web site. Perhaps a phone call is in order.

That pink salt....am I correct that you are talking about prague or instacure #1?
wittdog
Registered Member

Postby crouchngBtchrHiddnSausage » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:34 pm

Yes Prague powder or instacure, I believe it's essentially sodium nitrite, or a portion of the mixture is. As you may know it serves a dual purpose since it both alters the color of preserved fish and meats and also prevents growth of Clostridium botulinum, the bacteria which causes botulism.

I would think it's quite an important item to stock!
Registered Member

Postby David. » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:51 pm

Hi,

They do have "Pink Salt" Never heard it called that before.... It's the second item inthe link below.

www.wwf5.com/stuffers.com/wecs.php?stor ... target=301

David.
David.
Registered Member

Postby crouchngBtchrHiddnSausage » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:50 am

I guess it's the same stuff, although stuffers seems to be geared towards ham and bacon where as what I thought I was looking for was something like the link below...

http://www.butcher-packer.com/pages-productinfo/product-55/dq-curing-salt-8-oz-aka-dc-curing-salt.html
Registered Member

Postby Ken D » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:06 pm

Hi, David.....I think you want Prague powder.... there are 2 generic putups in North America, marketted by whomever.
PP #1 is straight salt and sodium nitRITE to the parts per million reqirements. You add X nuber of grammes of PP#1 to get to the conentration for your product.
PP#2 is a blend of salt, sodium nitrite, and sodium nitRATE....for the formulae requiring a slow maturation time.
The Morton people market what they call tenderquick, and tendercure....this is sort of like prague powder, except they add sugar, and other seasonings, and want you to make up your entire salt content with their stuff. Dyed pink, to keep them apart from table salt.
Prague powder leaves you the flexability to vary your salt percentages, and seasonings, with still, the correct amount of nitrites in the mix...when you use the PP to the required rate. It's on the box.
Stuffers sells both. Go here, http://www.stuffers.com/
and type in prague powder in the search box at the top. **drum roll**......ta dah !!! :lol:
Ken D
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies