Which Grinder / Stuffer for Beginner

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Which Grinder / Stuffer for Beginner

Postby djrpowell » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:13 pm

Hi,

I have just bought a kitchen craft grinder and tested it on some beef steaks. It does seem a little slow. I also have the Porkert sausage attachments No5 and have used them to see how the meat would flow. This is also slow and would be a lot of work.

I want to make sausages in the size of half a side of belly pork and a joint of pork mixed with rusk etc..

Now i was thinking that since this grinder only cost �10 why not start with an electric one and make my first experience of doing sausage a good one.

I have read a lot of stuff about the equipment here but still not sure.

I would like to mince my own meat anyway rather than rely on mince i.e. to make kebabs and burgers etc.. so the electric option is a good one.

Now i can get a Breville MG1 grinder / Sausage stufffer from here quite cheap �50 all in from ebay or about �70 from a shop. It looks quite good to me?

What do you chaps think?

Also i cannot spend a lot or my wife will kill me, but also cannot buy a machine which is s**t and cannot do the job.

Thanks in advance

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Breville-MG1-Meat ... dZViewItem
If it comes from 20 pigs and you are not sure if it contains testicles you are on the wrong track!
djrpowell
Registered Member

Postby BBQer » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:50 pm

Don't know much about the Breville grinder, but THIS is a good little stuffer.
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby djrpowell » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:29 pm

Yes i thought that looked good too but i wanted an easier grind as well!
If it comes from 20 pigs and you are not sure if it contains testicles you are on the wrong track!
djrpowell
Registered Member

Postby BBQer » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:03 pm

I bought a Maverick meat grinder. It's a small thing, but it has worked out well for me. If the Breville is comparable or better, then I'd think it'd be a good buy.

I think having a separate grinder and stuffer is a good way to go. That's why I pointed at the Hobby Stuffer.
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby hmmm sausages » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:23 am

Argos do a reasnoble mincer by anthony worrel thompson (spits) �70 which is reasnoble for what it looks like, no idea how good it is though

I bought my stuffer from www.designasausage.com its excellent, FW Panther.

I also use the Vertical Stuffer from this site, which is excellent
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby dougal » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:20 pm

I think the conventional wisdom on here is that hand powered mincing is a bit masochistic, but that using a tube from the front of a mincer mechanism for stuffing is almost equally making things hard for yourself.

Hence, if you get a mincer/stuffer, you are likely to continue to use it as a mincer, but soon abandon its stuffing capabilities.

You might have to wait until next year for Lidl to re-offer their bargain mincer/stuffer which, with a 3 year warranty and motor still contrived to sell for less than a mincer/stuffer attachment for a Kenwood Chef.

That said, a used Kenwood from eBay and its (appropriate model) mincer can make a cheap and capable starter - and the rest of the family can use the mixer for other things. (Do you like cakes? :D )
But even if you get lucky and find the right sausage tubes, it isn't much fun as a stuffer.
I'm going to have to get myself one of the 5lb Hobby stuffers soon...
dougal
Registered Member

Postby djrpowell » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:46 pm

yes that all sounds good advice.

I actually went into John Lewis and looked at their �60 Moulinex one. It looks pretty cool with all the bits on.

I may get this, as you know you can rely on John Lewis if it all goes wrong!

I think that i am probably being lazy but i am not going to make tonnes of the stuff just a few to start with but cannot face the "Grinding" by hand!

Any one else got any ideas.

Thanks Chaps
djrpowell
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:11 pm

djrpowell

The pre-requisites for 'happy' sausagemaking are an electric mincer/grinder and a dedicated stuffer, such as the Hobby Stuffer. The electric mincer with sausage stuffing attachments works fine, but it is a real juggling act to use. I went that route for a while until I decided I wasn't going to grow another pair of hands so I had better buy a stuffer. Haven't looked back since.

I use the Lidl electric mincer, it has a 550 watt motor and does the job very well, and was under �30, but they don't come up regularly. I would check the power of the mincer, because, while you say you are starting small, the day may come when you want to mince a few kilos and you will need a machine with a bit of endurance to do that.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby djrpowell » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:42 pm

This one looks pretty good, does it look similar to yours

Also what do you mean by needing a bigger one, someone said that they get hot?

http://www.johnlewis.com/Electrical/Kitchen+Appliances/Kitchen+Appliances/Choppers+and+Grinders/2783/230200611/Product.aspx

Thanks

Daniel
djrpowell
Registered Member

Postby dougal » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:20 am

djrpowell wrote:... Also what do you mean by needing a bigger one, someone said that they get hot? ...

Daniel - even the Lidl machine draws 500 watts. That's a significant amount of heat (think how hot a 500 watt lightbulb gets). But its not a big motor for a mincer.
However part of the design is to avoid conducting the motor heat to the mincer and hence to the meat.
The process of mincing can itself heat the meat sufficiently to have undesireable results - especially if its tearing rather than cutting.

A more powerful machine can eat bigger chunks and mince more kg per hour.
More controversially, it'll also be much better at handling skin, gristle and that sort of thing. (Which I don't want to mince.)

...i cannot spend a lot or my wife will kill me, but also cannot buy a machine which is s**t and cannot do the job. ...

For mincing small (domestic) quantities of trimmed meat, my guess is that any of the small motorised mincers should do fine.
One possible discrimination point might be how *coarsely* you can grind with the machine. You can mince more finely by remincing, but if you want some coarse texture...
If you don't have a mixer, do consider a used Chef. But bone up on the model differences (power and the specifics of attachments - principally old 700 series bits only fit old 700 series machines, which can't take current bits). It'll help with sausagemeat mixing and could easily be all the mincer you'll ever need. (And it could be a first stuffer and show you why folk prefer piston stuffers to the screw feed ones).
Or get *her* a nice new Chef. (And get youself the current mincer attachment, which comes with �10's worth of stuffer tubes, though you might - like me - want to upgrade to a 'proper' stuffer quite quickly... )
dougal
Registered Member

Postby aris » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:01 am

To be honest, you don't need a mincer to start making good sausage. A good butcher will do this for you no problem - and for free.

What is essential is a good stuffer. Without one, you'll hate making sausages.
aris
Site Admin

Postby saucisson » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:05 am

I made my first batch of sausages with the spacer plate and tubes Spuddy sent me for my Kenwood last night. The texture of the sausage was infinitely better than having to do a second mince into the tubes. With this thread in mind though I was also aware what a faff it was and how long it actually took me to produce a kg of sausage, good though they were!

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby djrpowell » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:58 pm

I have now bought a grinder / filler from Ebay for �65 from Germany a

"BEEM meat grinder - PANTHER LW 6108"

I am taking a bit of a punt but they look pretty good for the price;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... IBSA:UK:11

The guy has 9 more if any one wants one, i will update you all as soon as i get it.

I have ordered it Sunday evening so we will see how long (or if) for it arrive!

i will now break the news to my wife!
djrpowell
Registered Member

Postby djrpowell » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:56 pm

This is the machine i got

Model: Meat Grinder Size 8 - PANTHER LW 6108

Power: 600 watts
Measurement: 344 x 266 x 258mm
4,21kg net / 4,89kg gros
Description: Semi-professional meat grinder for highest demands

Powerful 600 watts motor
Shock-proof and chrome plated plastic housing
Grinder housing and handwheel made of mirror polished die-cast aluminium
Worm made of die-cast aluminium and hardened stainless steel shaft
Stainless steel 18/10 food tray
Cutting set made of hardened inox (stainless steel)
Power indicator lamp On/off and reverse switch Full range of accessories:
sausage stuffer set
inox knife
2 inox plates with hole-diameter 3.0 and 4.5 mm

GS, EMC, CE approved
2 Years Guarantee

Item No.: D 1000.120

I got it for �65 from EBay though and it arrived in 5 days.

It is quick and very sturdy i am most impressed with all aspects.

Good buy

djrpowell
Registered Member

Postby vinner » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:11 pm

I still do not have a stuffer, but will get one of these soon:

http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/prod ... 18fef7755a

Until ten, I do my first grind with the 2 hole stuffer (also called a spacer or a kidney plate). Then I do the second grind, after seasonaong and mixing, with the size plate I want directly into the stuffing tube/casing. It is a nifty trick my supplier taught me.

Tim
" To be the stewards of what we have been given, to reap what we sow, to enjoy the harmony of it all.

me
vinner
Registered Member

Next

Return to Equipment & Supplies