Spices/Mix in Thailand

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Spices/Mix in Thailand

Postby aussieinor » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:04 am

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum and first off want to say Hi to everyone. It's a very informative forum and I appreciate everyone's feedback.

I'm looking for where I can purchase spices, herbs in bulk to make sausages. I do enjoy the sausages from back home however very difficult to find a good sausage so have decided (like many of you) to produce my own.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
aussieinor
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:14 am

G'day Aussieinor,

There are a couple or members of the forum who live in Thailand, perhaps a PM to them would get you some results. Also Parson Snows who used to be very active here and I believe is still in Thailand should be able to point you in the right direction, there isn't much me doesn't know about sausage making in that area.

Regards,
Richard
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Postby aussieinor » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:39 am

Cheers Richard, Much appreciated. I'll give Parson Snows a PM and see who else is in Thailand.

Thanks again.
aussieinor
Registered Member

Postby Fricandeau » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:00 am

You shouldn't have much of a problem sourcing spices, most of the traditional ones used in British cooking are are from SE Asia anyway. The herbs might be more of a problem, but you could always get some seeds for thyme, sage and rosemary and, if you can keep them out of the rain, they should love the Thai climate. Grow them in a 50/50 mix of grit and soil, treat them mean, don't overwater and they'll give you a year round supply of fresh herbs (which can be dried if the recipe calls for dried herbs, freshly dried herbs are better than commercial anyway.)

You'd also be able to give your Thai neigbours a smell/taste of Europe, which has to be worth doing.
Vegetarian food: fine as a side.
Vegetarians: not bad, but they don't crisp up very well.
Vegans: should go back to Vega.
Fricandeau
Registered Member

Re: Spices/Mix in Thailand

Postby Lance Yeoh » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:46 am

aussieinor wrote:Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum and first off want to say Hi to everyone. It's a very informative forum and I appreciate everyone's feedback.

I'm looking for where I can purchase spices, herbs in bulk to make sausages. I do enjoy the sausages from back home however very difficult to find a good sausage so have decided (like many of you) to produce my own.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Hi Aussieinor, I'm in Malaysia, just down south of you. If you do come over to Malaysia, you should have no problems getting all the spices you'll need. But I'm sure you can get them in Thailand as well. My main problem here when I got started was getting natural casings. PM me if you need anything and I'll see if I can help you in any way. :wink:
Lance Yeoh
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies