Large stuffer question

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Large stuffer question

Postby Doctor » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:53 pm

I posted this on a different part of this forum so you may have seen this before.
Hello,
First time on this forum.
I have been making sausage for a few years and just recently purchased a very old air stuffer. It has it's own compressor and holds about 50# of meat.
I've searched for about a week now and cannot find any info on it.
If someone has ever heard of this machine or used one please let me know.
The Randall Air Stuffer by RT Randall and Co. Philadelphia, PA
Is stamped on the casting. It weighs about 500#
Thank you.
I am interested in hearing about your recipes and tecniques.
I do most of my own deer processing. this is how i got into sausage making.
Doctor
Doctor
Registered Member

Postby Lance Yeoh » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:12 am

Doctor, I think Sausagemaker may be able to help you, he's the one with tonnes of experience in this, most of us here use manual crank stuffers. No where as big as what you mentioned. :oops:
Lance Yeoh
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:15 am

Pokerpete is also a good source of information for commercial equipment, even if he is a grumpy old fart! :D
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:59 pm

Hi Doctor
Welcome to the forum.
I have just had a look at this on ebay (just as well the pictures are still up), it seems to me it is a piston filler is this correct?.
If so then it is like an early version of a hydraulic filler & should not give you any real problems apart from all that unguarded pieces of belting.
A couple of Questions
Is there any way of adjusting the speed?
Is there any way of switching it on & off whilst standing at the stuffing horn as this could be tricky if you have a burst & the switch in unreachable.
As for recipes if you are doing a 50 lb batch you may need to increase the water so that the mix stays softer longer so that it will flow easily.

If you need any help with the recipe scale up please ask or PM me & I will endeavour to do my best

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Fricandeau » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:29 pm

You need a dead-mans-switch on the power supply. Step away from the pedal and the wall stays mix-free. Should be available from most industrial power tool suppliers for a small sum.
Vegetarian food: fine as a side.
Vegetarians: not bad, but they don't crisp up very well.
Vegans: should go back to Vega.
Fricandeau
Registered Member

Postby Doctor » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:53 pm

Much appreciated input, thanks.
Well, It is a piston type of stuffer. There are pressure gauges and adjustable pressure refief valve. I'm assuming that is how the feed is regulated.
There is a shut off valve on the side that is a lever type that i think could also control flow.
There will be guards over the belts for sure.
My typical batch size is about 25 lbs. I've been using a prebagged seasoning mix that i find suites my taste with a little tuning up.
I do look forward to coming up with my own seasoning. It would be nice if i could ask a few of you to share some recipes.
Like i said earlier, I am a hunter and is how i got into home butchering. I like deer sausage but it is just too dry. I've been using about 50/50 pork to venison. I may go a little heavier on the pork as i cannot get the moisture just right yet.
Nice talking to you, and thanks again for the input, all is welcome
Oh by the way , please forgive my ignorance, WHere is Cumbria?
I am in middle of New York State.
Doctor
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:12 pm

It's the English Lake District, one of the most beautiful (and wettest) parts of England.

See here:

http://www.visitcumbria.com/mapindex.htm

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Doctor » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:27 pm

Sounds nice, I'd like to see the UK when i get a few daughters out of college.
One done,two in,two ready to go.
I have business associates in Hampshire, UK
Doctor
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:31 pm

See link below for the part of cumbria that I live in

http://www.visitcumbria.com/car/bramptn.htm

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Doctor » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:41 pm

Very nice sausagemaker, I don't know much about England.
I live in farm country with hardwood forests hills.
Doctor
Doctor
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:03 pm

Hi Doctor where about's in New York state are you, not that I would know anything about the place just as a matter on interest.
I used to come across to Massachusetts as I have a cousin who lives there but I seem to have lost touch over the years, shame really as I loved New England especially in the fall

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Doctor » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:54 pm

I'm about 40 miles South of Lake Ontario and 100 miles from Niagara Falls.
Our leave have begun changing colors. The middle of October is fantastic The hillsides look like they are on fire with color.
Doctor
Doctor
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:41 pm

tristar wrote:Pokerpete is also a good source of information for commercial equipment, even if he is a grumpy old fart! :D

Oh yeh, and that's exactly why I'm not commenting on American fillers, if they were any good they would have been over here competing with Vemag and Handtmann which have always been high priced.
The rest of the American meat processing equipment was well made, and competively priced. I never came across an American filler in 30+ years in the UK, or indeed saw one at an exhibition. Nuff said.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby Doctor » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:46 pm

Pokerpete,
I'm not really following what you are trying to say. You like American things? you don't like American things? You can't afford American things? You don't understand How American things operate?
Doctor
Doctor
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:02 pm

Doctor wrote:Pokerpete,
I'm not really following what you are trying to say. You like American things? you don't like American things? You can't afford American things? You don't understand How American things operate?
Doctor

I certainly do like the American meat processing machinery, and it was always affordable compared with the German and Swiss machinery.
But it baffles me that in 30+ years I never saw an American filler linker portioner, and that includes at Frankfurt which is the largest exhibition of its type in the world. Believe me if there had been any good American fillers about I would have imported them.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Next

Return to Equipment & Supplies