Reber Vacuum sealer

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Reber Vacuum sealer

Postby oldspots » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:35 pm

Having trouble getting vac pac bags from Sausagemaking.org so please does anyone know of anywhere else I can buy them from. I am now very desperate and Sausagemaking says they are not getting delivery for another two weeks at least.
Own rare breed Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs and sell pork & bacon
oldspots
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:42 pm

Give Scoobies Direct a try

Cheers WW
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

vac pac bags

Postby clivmar » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:03 pm

I use bags from LIDl's. Excellent quality and value.
clivmar
clivmar
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:10 pm

Scobies only sell the NON ribbed ones though.
If you need some for a Reber or similar try HERE
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby aris » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:14 pm

Technically they are called 'embossed' vacuum pouches - do a google search and you will find many places sell them - but Sausagemaking.org's prices are pretty good.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:59 pm

The site Spuddy posted is really good, it is quite cheap. Prices there are really competitive.

The one thing that I do is use the embossed part of the bag so that I may use bags from Scoobies. What I do is I cut the embossed bags into strips and insert them down the length of this Scoobies Direct begs and use as normal. This works fine for me.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:53 pm

Their trade prices are even better but you have to buy in quantity to get them.
Spuddy
Site Admin

vacuum bags

Postby oldspots » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:48 am

Wow you lot thanks a million for all of this you have saved my business.
We vac pac all our bacon to sell and I have had an order with Sausagemaking for a month now (not blaming them) and have alot of bacon to vac pac. I really like the idea of putting the strips down an ordinary bag - does it work very well though?

The little Reber is not really man enough for our needs now, can any of you recommend a good, reasonably priced machine.
oldspots
Registered Member

Postby aris » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:41 am

You probably need a commercial chamber vac pac unit - they retail from about 1000 pounds and up, though you may find one on eBay or second hand through a dealer. The one advantage of these is that they are fast, and they can use the standard vac-pack bags, and tend to have a very very good vacuum seal.

1000 quid is alot of money, but if you do alot of sealing, you can save that easily just on the price difference of the bags, and the time saved.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:44 am

Oldspots, if you are packing bacon professionally. I think that is probably a good idea to get a professional vacuum packer. Although the Reber vacuum packer is very good for domestic purposes. The bags are very expensive. below is some links to professional vacuum packers on eBay.
    HERE
    HERE
    HERE
I think that if you got a professional vacuum packer, you would get your money back in a very short period of time, because the bags are so much cheaper. They work out at about two to 03p each, whereas the Reber begs cost between 13p and 21p each.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:26 pm

Oldspots, sorry I didn't answer your question, I also really like the idea of recycling the reber vacuum bags, after I cut them I get about four Scoobies bags out of them. It is a bit of the fiddle sometimes, so I don't think it could be used for commercial purposes.

I only use the small bags from Scoobies, I buy the medium and large bags from Franco. I think it is important for us to support Franco. After all, he provides us with this great forum and also tries to provide us with all the chemicals and casings that we need.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Patricia Thornton » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:39 pm

I can't add anything about vacuum packs but would certainly like to second Oddley's final paragraph about supporting the site owner.
Patty
Patricia Thornton
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:43 pm

Agreed, in fact if you consider the carriage cost then Franco's can work out cheaper for regular quantities.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Reber vac pac bags

Postby oldspots » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:13 am

Thanks a million for all your replies and I have now ordered some from Culinary Innovations. I always buy from Franco and shall continue to support him but when your business depends on the bags its good to have a back up supplier. I always try to order well in advance of running out but this time I have already had to wait a month from Franco and have just been told it will probalbly be about another couple of weeks.
oldspots
Registered Member

Postby Lee » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:27 pm

I placed an order yesterday on the site for the reber packer and some bags, and was also told it would be 2 weeks, I notice you were told this, er, two weeks ago :roll:
I guess I'm going to be waiting a while...... :?:
Lee
Registered Member

Next

Return to Equipment & Supplies