Looking for a Sausage stuffer

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Looking for a Sausage stuffer

Postby this41uk » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:06 pm

Hi

Can anyone help I think I need to invetst in a Sausage Stuffer. At the moment I'm using an atachment to my grinder, the only trouble is:-

1. I always have about 3 sausages worth of meat left between the nozzle and the mincer housing.

2. The meat mix seems to become even more paste like due to the corkscrew action of the mincer.

3. Because the mixture sticky it is difficult to put through the mincer.

So assuming I do need a dedicated stuffer What would be a good one to start with for a beginner.

Are they easy to use single handed or would I need a second person to help with sausage stuffing.

and lastly would I be able to stuff every thing from Sheeps casings to Beef middles.

Tim
[/code]
this41uk
Registered Member

Postby dougal » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:08 pm

Tim, the Search function is wonderful... :wink: 8)
dougal
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:26 pm

Hi Tim

Re your stuffer, please see the link below this one from Franco at �69
http://www.sausagemaking.org/acatalog/F ... uffer.html
Would certainly be a step in the right direction, & the following link is the same machine which I reviewed earlier this year
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... highlight=

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:28 pm

dougal wrote:Tim, the Search function is wonderful... :wink: 8)

Glad you like it Dougal :wink:

Now to answer Tim's Questions:

1. You will always get some leftover mixture, the amount varies from stuffer to stuffer. I personally turn them into patties or meatballs.
2. A piston and cylinder stuffer is much better if you want to maintain a coarser texture.
3. A sticky mixture (although desireable) is difficult to force through a screw feeder on a mincer. Again another plus for the cylinder jobbies.

I'd also suggest the Stainless vertical stuffer that Sausagemaker linked to. I use a big horizontal Reber and also have a small hand held stuffer for test batches but I will soon be getting one of the hobby ones as well for making small batches (it holds 2kg).

BR

Spuddy

P.S. What Dougal was trying to say though is that similar questions to yours have already been answered on the forum so please try to use the search function in future.
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby this41uk » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:31 pm

Thanks for the help

I din't know about the search funtion, but now I will try there first. :oops:
this41uk
Registered Member

Postby dougal » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:42 pm

this41uk wrote:Thanks for the help

I din't know about the search funtion, but now I will try there first. :oops:

Tim, I'm sorry if I seemed curt, but I was rushing and you were asking what seemed like a recently frequently asked question.
There's a lot of good stuff in the these forums and working out how to use the Search function unlocks the treasure!

The forum experience seems to be that the Hobby stuffer is very much less hassle than using a screw-fed stuffer/grinder.
And it makes it much easier to get much less air in the sausage.

The only things people seem to have been less than enthusiastic about are
- that there's no quick retraction facility, so you have to wind the piston back for a refill
- the plastic nozzles (hence the excitement over a possible stainless option)
- and it needs clamping down to stay still

I can't see that you could do better for the price in the UK.
dougal
Registered Member

What would be the appropriate

Postby this41uk » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:17 pm

O.k. Sorry but still asking the same question :?

What I need to ask realy is what would be the most appropriate stuffer to buy.

Putting cost on one side and looking at what will provide me with a durable piece of kit that I will not need to be upgraded for some time.

I;m making about 6 to 8kg of sausage a month most of that is dried sausage (not good at freash :oops: )

I like making Salami type sausage and want to be able to put chunky bits of meat into said sausages. At the moment these just jam up my grinder.

So your the experts what would be my best buy. :!: :!: :wink:
Old and Confused but Still a Happy Camper
this41uk
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:31 pm

If money were no object, I would like the F Dick.

http://www.sausagemaking.org/acatalog/F ... ffers.html

sausagemaking.org wrote:This Sausage maker is built to last a lifetime. F Dick has been manufacturing sausage making equipment for over 100 years. F Dick 12 Lbs table top sausage stuffer offers sturdy construction and ease of operation. Solid frame is plastic coated. Cylinder and base plate are made of stainless steel. Nylon piston with air-exhaust valve. Capacity 6 ltr (12 lbs)

Net Weight 13.5 KG (about 30 lbs)

Height 440 mm (about 17.3 inches)

Includes 4 stuffing tubes
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby aris » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:25 pm

Surely if money were no object, you'd get the hydraulic one? :-)
aris
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:40 pm

Why would you think that? It is much bigger and as an amateur I prefer purely mechanical devices. much less trouble.

let's be sensible even if price were no object, I wouldn't spend �1,950.00 on a stuffer... :D
Oddley
Registered Member

Re: What would be the appropriate

Postby dougal » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:19 pm

this41uk wrote:O.k. Sorry but still asking the same question :?

...I like making Salami type sausage and want to be able to put chunky bits of meat into said sausages. At the moment these just jam up my grinder.

To keep the fat texture with a domestic stuffer, you need to be looking for a piston stuffer, not a screw-type.
The Hobby stuffer is the cheapest piston stuffer that is powered by winding a geared handle (or "crank").
Winding the handle isn't hard work and allows excellent control. (Especially with a little food grade lubricant.)

Using a piston that is just moved by a lever can be hard work ("Porkert - a job for Samson" Oddley said IIRC)

You can get motorised pistons, but these are expensive (see above)

There is at least one product where the piston is moved by mains water pressure. That struck me as a neat idea, but it seems not to work out well in practice.

What I need to ask realy is what would be the most appropriate stuffer to buy.
Putting cost on one side and looking at what will provide me with a durable piece of kit that I will not need to be upgraded for some time.
I;m making about 6 to 8kg of sausage a month most of that is dried sausage (not good at freash :oops: )

If the batch capacity isn't too small (2kg/5lb) - and it doesn't sound like it to me, then the Hobby stuffer ought to please you greatly.
Whether or not you choose to 'upgrade' the stuffing nozzles to metal ones would be something you could decide for yourself, depending on how you got on.

Unless you are planning to scale up your production somewhat, I can't see that anything bigger would be worthwhile.
dougal
Registered Member

Cheers

Postby this41uk » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:27 pm

Cheers Dougal

I've put the hobby stuffer on my Christmas list and made sure my wife knows.

P.S. if I have trouble with the plastic nozzles where would I get hold of the stainless steal ones I've read about on the forum.

Many Thanks

Tim
Old and Confused but Still a Happy Camper
this41uk
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:53 pm

saucisson
Site Admin

Return to Equipment & Supplies