Authentic German Sausage + Products

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Postby sausagemaker » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:33 pm

Oopps

Sorry the water should have read 17.3%.
I used potato starch so that I could retain the whitness of the chicken as the oatmeal & flour I believe would have a greying effect which I think the public would associate with darker meats (you know how fickle they can be).
With regard to the seasoning I think you may need a bit more salt as the level it is in will be very low in finished product at least for my taste.
The rest of the ingredients are very similar to the ones I was using although mine were spread on salt or dextrose.
I will try & make up your seasoning for my next trial, although I think I will add the smoke flavour as I do not have access to a smoke cabinet.

regards
sausagemaker
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Reply to comments

Postby Parson Snows » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:18 am

You wrote
I used potato starch so that I could retain the whitness of the chicken as the oatmeal & flour I believe would have a greying effect which I think the public would associate with darker meats (you know how fickle they can be).

According to information from numerous studies, specifically carried out on �fat-reduced frankfurters� I quote �Carrageenan or oat fibre did not alter the colour of the frankfurters and neither ingredient had a significant effect on the flavour characteristics assessed.� Up to a 2 (two) percent level was investigated. From my personal experience decreasing the amount of fat in the product tends to result in a darker product being produced, though I have always found that customers expect some colour, even in chicken products.

You wrote
With regard to the seasoning I think you may need a bit more salt as the level it is in will be very low in finished product at least for my taste.

I�m not sure that I understand the comment as in your posted recipe the seasoning was stated as 2.5 % whilst I used 4.5 % of which approx. 2.34 % is salt, exactly for the reason that it was a �low-fat� version and contained oatmeal.

Kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:28 pm

Sorry Parson

I did not mean to offend the comments I made were personal preferences and whilst I will look at the oatmeal I personally prefer the meats white (I am one of those fickle people).
With regard to the salt again this is personal taste if you use salt @ 2.34% of the seasoning recipe & then use the seasoning @ 4.5% then finished product will be 0.105% I was using 35% salt in mine which is equal to 0.875% in finished product.

Hope this makes sense

regards
sausagemaker
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Chicken Frankfurter Recipe

Postby Parson Snows » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:23 pm

Sausagemaker wrote

Sorry Parson

I did not mean to offend the comments I made were personal preferences and whilst I will look at the oatmeal I personally prefer the meats white (I am one of those fickle people).

No offense taken believe me, everyone has personal preferences, you mentioned previously that you believed that adding flour and oatmeal would have a graying effect, what I was pointing out was that according to studies done no change in colour is apparent from the addition of either Carrageenan or oatmeal (up to the 2 % level)

You also wrote
With regard to the salt again this is personal taste if you use salt @ 2.34% of the seasoning recipe & then use the seasoning @ 4.5% then finished product will be 0.105% I was using 35% salt in mine which is equal to 0.875% in finished product.

All percentages are for 100 % therefore the salt content in my posted recipe is 2.34 % of the total sausage mix and not 0.105%.

Kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:26 pm

Once again Sorry mate

I'll just go and smack my optician in the mouth he must have given me the wrong pair.
I will read it properly next time.

regards
sausagmaker
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Equipment & Supplies