Porkert no 8 mincer

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Porkert no 8 mincer

Postby ErnieK » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:44 pm

I have just started sausage making, using a Porkert No 8 mincer. The non tinned surfaces of this mincer leave black marks on a cleaning cloth no matter how well they are cleaned. Is this harmful ? Will it reduce with use ? Would it be reduced if I coat with vegetable oil after use ?

ErnieK
ErnieK
Newly Registered

Postby sausagemaker » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:06 pm

Hi ErnieK

Welcome to the forum
Whilst I have never used the mincer you speak of I would suggest that you oil all parts of the mincer before & after use.
This will not only help prevent the inevitable rusting of parts, but help the meats transfer throgh the screw to the mince head.

Regards
Sausagemaker
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:32 pm

Hi ErnieK Welcome to the forum.

This is obviously rust and as we all intake a certain amount of iron a day and it would take a tremendous amount to do us harm.

Unless the metal contains harmful chemicals lead (I very much doubt it does) for instance the black should not prove harmful.

But it would not do any harm contacting the company by emailing and finding out if the problem is acceptable.

I personally would use it.

Oh and yeah keep all the parts well oiled before and after use.
Oddley
Registered Member

P

Postby Parson Snows » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:57 am

ErnieK

First of all welcome to the forum

You wrote
I have just started sausage making, using a Porkert No 8 mincer. The non tinned surfaces of this mincer leave black marks on a cleaning cloth no matter how well they are cleaned. Is this harmful ?

Not as harmful as possibly offputting if some discoloured meat gets into your casings

You wrote
Will it reduce with use ?

No, its because the grinder plate and blade are typically made from carbon steel. If you like you can purchase a stainless steel plate and blade.

You wrote
Would it be reduced if I coat with vegetable oil after use ?

I would recommend that you DO NOT use vegetable oil, as it could turn rancid if coated and not used for a while. I would suggest that you purchase and use some FOOD Grade silicone grease or spray.

I hope that this information is of some use to you.

kind regards

Parson Snows

PS DO NOT use anything abrasive when cleaning the "tinned" surfaces of the mincer
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies