Cleaning equipment

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Cleaning equipment

Postby Franco » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:52 am

I have been asked to confirm the cleaning procedure for the Reber stuffers by Aris. When using any equipment for sausage making it is critical that a very high standard of hygiene is practiced at all times. This is a copy of my reply sent to Aris.

Hi Aris,

I have never had a problem with smells with my reber stuffer, and I have the same as you, after use I always clean the barrel with boiling hot water and washing up liquid, when it is dry I squirt some antibacterial spray on it from Sainsbury.

On the plunger I don't remove it from the shaft but leave it to soak in hot soapy water for a while then scrub it and use a toothpick to get any meat out that is stuck round the edges.

Cheers

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby aris » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:34 am

Yeah, I pulled my reber out yesterday to make some droewors and noticed a peculiar smell. It would appear that some juice/meat was stuck in the plunger and taking the center screw out with a hex key I was able to clean it properly. The plunger consists of three parts - two plastic and one rubber seal. The juices were stuck between the two plastic bits, and there was meat in parts of the rubber seal.

I would suggest anyone with a reber actually do this after each use.

I'm also still not 100% sure how to clean the inside of the tube though. The bit at the front where excess air bleeds out can get bits of meat stuck in it sometimes - certainly juices creep in and out of there. In the end I just let it soak in hot soapy water.
aris
Site Admin

cleaning

Postby Franco » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:38 pm

Just to hammer the point home... it is imperative that any sausage stuffing equipment is thouroughly sanitised after use, if you have a dishwasher use it whenever possible as the temperature reached will kill most bacteria.

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby aris » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:49 pm

I'd be curious to know if anyone else with a reber finds anything nasty if they dismantle their plunger. It will certainly be part of my cleaning routine from now on!
aris
Site Admin

Postby Fatman » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:59 pm

Aris

I have just today used my reber for the first time, retiring my old stuffer to the shed.
I must say it is a very good stuffer/filler , however if I have one point to raise, then it is your point on cleaning the head of the plunger. Not the best design there, but where there is a will there is a way.To make things easier I suggest we place clingfilm or greaseproof paper over the plunger and EH PRESTO !
Fatman
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:34 pm

I've had the same problem as Aris (though without the smell) in that the plunger end is difficult to clean. I've been dissasembling it with a hex key too.
I like Fatman's idea of lining the plunger with clingfilm. I'll try it next time.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby aris » Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:03 am

Yeah, the clingfilm idea is brillant! I'll give it a shot next time. My only concern would be bits of clingfilm getting into my sausage. Perhaps the wax paper idea is better - i'll have to experiment.

To be honest though, I don't mind dismantling it to clean - it's all part of the ritual of making sausage.
aris
Site Admin

Cleaning the Reber stuffer

Postby Parson Snows » Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:36 am

I would be interested in any sketches/diagrams or photos showing the inside of the Reber stuffer and the piston area before I decide to purcahse one.

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies