Kit contents?

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Kit contents?

Postby Platypus » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:54 pm

I have been interested in making my own sausages and salamis for some time but have not yet actually tried it.

I recently stumbled accross this site and it has given me the confidence to give it a go.

I am thinking of getting the "Complete salami making kit with mincer" as a starter, but can't find any info on what mincer is in the kit. Can anyone answer this? Or should I just forget the kit and splash out on the FW2684 and some skins & cures?

Cheers
Platypus
Platypus
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:34 pm

Welcome to the forum Platypus

I would think in the salami making kit the mincer will be the one below.

If you are not sure if you are going to carry on with sausage making then the kits are an easy way to get into making your own sausage and salami.

If the mincer is the one shown you save a fiver buying the kit. If you know you are going to carry on doing it then by all means buy an electric mincer.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Platypus » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:33 pm

Thanks Oddley

I like to think I will carry on, but our house is filled with things I just knew I would use all the time....

.... until I got them :wink:
Platypus
Registered Member

Postby Platypus » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:54 pm

I must be getting soft! Or maybe just sensible (Oh no, It'll be a pipe and slippers next :? )

I just ordered the kit and will start my foray into sausage making a little slowly.
Platypus
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:02 pm

Please let us know how you get on. Also what you think of the kit.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Platypus » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:15 pm

Well my kit arrived on Tuesday (ordered on Thursday) and did indeed contain the Porkert #5 mincer as Oddley suggested above, it is cast iron and of good solid construction. It only comes with one mincing plate (which has 3/16" holes in), but it has just minced up 1Kg of pork and back fat quickly and easily.

The rest of the kit comprises stuffing tubes, starter culture, cure mix, and two types of complete salami mix which looks to be enough to do about 10Kilos of meat.

All the items were delivered in a standard TNT pouch without any additional protection, but were none the worse for it.

Ther were two minor hiccups in the delivery, both of which were quickly resolved. The first was that the kit should have contained Cure #2, but had Cure #1 in by mistake, a replacement is currently in the post. The second was that there was no instruction leaflet for the salami mix, but as soon as I mentioned this Franco emailed it straight to me.

So overall I am pleased with the kit and the after sales service.

I hope I'm as pleased with my first attempts at sausage making 8)
Platypus
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies