Reber Vacuum Packer Review

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Reber Vacuum Packer Review

Postby Oddley » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:53 am

I got an email from Lucy at sausagemaking.org Thursday morning saying the vacuum packer was back in stock. I couldn't wait to try all my ideas for this device so I rang up and ordered one with some extra bags immediately.

Monday morning TNT delivered a package upon opening I found that it was just the bags. So I rang sausagemaking and told them what happened the young lady from sausaemaking told me to ring her if it had not arrived by the morning. Fortunately at 8:30 am TNT again came and delivered the vacuum packer to my relief.

I opened the brown box and discovered that the packing was sparse to say the least just three small thin pieces of polystyrene. I therefore carefully inspected the contents for damage and thankfully could find none.

With the box unpacked and the contents revealed there was one Reber vacuum packing machine an attachment for creating vacuums in solid containers you have to buy the containers to use this. There was also a set of instructions and twenty medium sized bags. The plug on the vacuum packer is of the two pin variety but Franco had thought of this and sent a converter with the package I had received the day before.

I was anxious to start so I read the instructions, they seemed clearer than the average flat pack furniture puzzles. But like all instructions a bit esoteric until you put them to use.

I had an OX tongue waiting to be cured but thought this a bit advanced for my first try, so I got a couple of already frozen sausages out of the freezer. I plugged in the vacuum packer and waited the obligatory fifteen second for it to warm up. I then filled a small bag with the two frozen sausages put them in the vacuum packer as the instructions had told me to do, and pressed the button the bag crumpled as the vacuum started to take effect, the vacuum gauge meandered around the dial until maximum vacuum was achieved. The machine then stopped I took out the small crumpled bag of frozen sausages and was impressed by the ease of use and efficiency of the machine.

Although the instructions warn against using any wet ingredient in the food to be packed I thought I would give the slightly wet and newly cured OX tongue a go. I put the tongue in a large bag and followed the previous procedure. I could see liquid being drawn up the bag and for a time was a bit concerned this would damage the machine fortunately it did not. When I inspected the packed OX tongue it was obvious that the vacuum was not as complete as was the case with the frozen sausages.

In conclusion on the whole I think the Reber Vacuum packer is an excellent machine good value for money and does what it says on the box. The wet ingredients problem in my opinion can be avoided by semi freezing the ingredient in the bag first then vacuum packing. I will certainly be using the machine frequently.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby TobyB » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:04 pm

Thanks Oddley that's very useful. Looks like it would be fab for dry cure bacon.
TobyB
Registered Member

Postby Fatman » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:45 am

Hi Oddley

Great review on the Reber vacuum packer !

Could you please try bacon and post your comments and could you please include any cycle times.

Grateful for your co-operation

Fatman
Fatman
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:01 pm

Hi Fatman good to hear from you.

I will try Bacon sometime in March, I will also time the complete packing cycle. But it is reasonably short no more than about 10 - 20 seconds.

EDIT: The duty cycle to vacuum and seal the small and medium bags with contents is for my machine 21 seconds.
Last edited by Oddley on Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby aris » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:12 pm

So does it auto-seal when the pressure is right, or do you have to do that manually?
aris
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:18 pm

Hi aris if you use auto mode it will evacuate the bag then seal it all with the press of one button. You can interrupt the processes at any time by pushing the other button and it will seal no matter what the vacuum is in the bag.

I have not yet tried the manual mode. There seems to be one but I have only read the instructions and you know what they are like until you try it.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Shaun » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:46 am

Oddly
Thanks for the review looks like I will have to get one now :)
Franco
Can you gat the containers that go with it and if so how big do they go up to?
Fatman
Welcome back :)
Shaun
Registered Member

Postby Fatman » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:09 am

Cheers Shaun

Replying from France.

We had a health scare in the family which changed my priorities, however all is well now. ( touch wood )

Regards

Fatman
Fatman
Registered Member

Postby Shaun » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:54 am

Fatman
Glad to hear all's well, and also that we will have the pleasure of your vast knowledge in this forum again.

Regards
Shaun
Shaun
Registered Member

containers

Postby Franco » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:41 pm

I can suppky the containers if rerquired, they act like a Kilner jar but better!

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby Shaun » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:47 pm

Got my reber vacuum today. will have a play over the weekend and let you know how it compares to the two wire version.

Franco
can we have a price on the jars please.
Shaun
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:15 am

After using the machine for a while I thought I would give an update.

Using the vacuum packer on a regular basis I have found there is one small problem with it. As I said in the review. It doesn't like wet ingredients. Especially when using the large bags. They have trouble sealing.

I think what happens is any fluid that travels up the bag dissipates some of the heat from the sealing strip. I must say though that I have not had that much trouble vac packing sausages.

The main problem has occured when trying to pac large cuts of pork in frozen immersion cures. Due to salt and sugar content they take a long time to freeze hard. Anyway still working on it.

To answer Fatman the machine will vac pac dry cure cuts. But you may have to seal it more than once.

I think maybe I am expecting a bit to much from it. After all it is a domestic machine as the price reflects.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:37 am

Hi Oddley

I have only vac packed in a chamber unit but the same problem exists, the way around it is to remove the plates the the product sits on, so that the bag containing the liquid is hanging down.
You could achieve the same by building up the vac packer so that the bag is hanging rather than laying flat

Hope this helps
regards
sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:53 am

Thanks for the advice Sausagemaker. I will try what you suggest.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Shaun » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:42 pm

I finally got to use my reber vacuum packer at the weekend. What a tool it's a hundred times better than the two wire one I brought off ebay, well worth the money. Now i'm started if it don't move I vacuum pack it :D .

Franco
Any chance of a price on the jars?
Shaun
Registered Member

Next

Return to Equipment & Supplies