Best way to sharpen mincer blades

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Postby Deer Man » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:53 pm

Sounds great! Let us know how you get on.
Harrisa paste?
Found this on UKTVfood.
3 ounces mild and hot chilies dried
1 clove garlic -- crushed with salt
1/4 teaspoon salt -- for above
1 teaspoon coriander -- ground
1 teaspoon caraway seed -- ground
1 red bell pepper -- roasted
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
olive oil

Stem Seed and break up chilies. Place in a bowl and pour over boiling water.
Cover and let stand 30 minutes. Drain; wrap in cheesecloth and press out
Excess moisture. Do the same for the red Bell Pepper. Grind chilies in food
Processor with garlic spices, red bell pepper, and salt. Add enough oil to
Make a thick paste. Pack the mixture in a small dry jar; cover the harissa
With a thin layer of oil, close the jar with a lid and keep refrigerated. Will
Keep 2 to 3 weeks in the refrigerator with a thin layer of oil.

3 ounces of dried chilies would be a good amount, they don't weigh a lot! :lol:
Last edited by Deer Man on Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Safe Shooting, Good Hunting, Eat Well!
Deer Man
Registered Member

Postby Hobbitfeet » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:14 pm

I have used a Jerk Mix in sausages...a normal 85% pork shoulder and belly sausage but with no water, just a bottle of the evil brew. They were not to everyone's taste but I certainly enjoyed them but as an evening sausage...I'm not sure if I could face them too early in the morning.
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Postby aris » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:18 pm

You can make your own harissa, but I just buy it in small tins - imported from Morocco.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:37 pm

Hi Paul Kribs I made meguez sausage awhile ago and weren't so keen. So devised a recipe that I liked. This recipe is begging to be spiced up more with a bit of chillie.

The recipe can be found at:

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... ie+willies
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:26 pm

Hi Oddley, must say that those Chilli-willies look very nice, I reckon I shall be making those a bit later on... around about the time the weather warms and the beer reappears. Reckon they will go down nice with a few tankards of ale on a summer evening. Meanwhile my sausage mixes have arrived from this site and I now have to part with some cash for a set of scales with 1gr graduations.. my current ones have 1oz and 25gr, and it would seem that if I am to progress I need new ones. I will kill 2 birds with one stone though cos just around the corner from where I will be buying the scales from happens to be one of the few butchers in the area, and I need to buy a few kilo's of pork.. sorted.. For the time being I will tweak the Mexican mix.

With regard to the mincer plate.. I have been looking at a small electric mincer (a kitchen type Moulinex) that comes with a fine and coarse blade.. It will save a bit of elbow grease and has a feeding tray, which will be better. Must admit it is quite hard work passing frozen meat through a hand grinder. That will also come later.

Nice to hear that jerk paste can go into sausages, the wife doesn't like it but I do and that's what counts.. Thanks for the info all.
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Deer Man » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:07 pm

Paul, if you can't wait for your performa for a new blade and plate, mine still has not arrived! try these. http://www.weschenfelder.co.uk http://www.sausagemaking.co.uk/sausagemachineparts.htm I think this thread will not last long on the site! :twisted:
Safe Shooting, Good Hunting, Eat Well!
Deer Man
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:22 pm

Thanks Deer Man, I am still awaiting a pro-forma from the Cartel site for a replacement plate. I have decided to stick with the old mincer, mainly because the amount of sausages I will make in the future does not warrant an electric mincer. Also read a few times that they can create a bit of heat and turn the minced meat 'grey'.

Thanks for the link, I was actually having a look at that site a few days ago. I did a big (for me) batch of bangers on saturday and just re-honed my current mincer plate and knife on the diamond stone and it was like a hot knife through soft butter, only takes about 10 strokes for each whilst keeping them flat.. makes the world of difference.
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Equipment & Supplies