Too much soaking?

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Too much soaking?

Postby welsh wizard » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:15 pm

OK I think I have made a error but as always desperatly in need of advice so please help - when my hog castings arrived they said soak in water for 2 hours plus, and that is what I did - all of them! Should I have only soaked the length I needed and if so how long will the now soaked castings last?

Yep its questions questions again.....
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:42 pm

Yep you were only supposed to soak the ones you were using. Pack the ones you are not using heavily in salt and put them in the fridge. I'm not really sure if this will do the trick, as I have never come across this before. I hope someone can advise you with more authority.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby aris » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:53 pm

I have done this before - didn't have a problem, but it wasn't the whole lot, just a few odd bits.

I can't vouch that this will work - but what I would do is squeeze all the water out of the skins by running the whole lot through your fingers (one strand at a time) then pack in a load of rock salt.
aris
Site Admin

soaking

Postby Franco » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:32 pm

pour loads of salt in the water and I mean loads of salt and make a very strong brine solution, the skins should be ok for a while if you do this.

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby welsh wizard » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:17 pm

thank you one and all for not taking the pee out of me and offering good sound advice - again!

I know what an absolute twonk I have been but if you do come across someone who would like to purchase a mile or two of very pre soaked hog castings, I have some at a cheap rate.
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:52 am

Ow wel, hidia befo! :)

You could always stuff them all and fill your freezer for the next year!

If you drain them well and repack them in lots of fine salt they should be fine. After all that's pretty much how they are produced in the first place.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Return to Equipment & Supplies